So it begins

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Re: So it begins

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Awesome!
Frodo lives!
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

If one is interested in doing more than costuming and day trips in this hobby, there's only one way to take the leap, and unfortunately it usually involving miserable sleeping...so regardless of the outcome, well done on 'getting out there', especially solo!
A 60 lb pack I have to admit is pretty hefty. For modern backpacking I've found a digital kitchen scale and a spreadsheet are pretty invaluable for doing a "shake-down" and seeing just where the weight is, and it's just as useful for Middle-earth trekking as well. When you get the time and energy, feel free to share a gear dump of what you're packing and we can see about helping you pare things down a bit.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

You made an effort, and that is more than most. Your experience is something we can all learn from.

Well done.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

You survived, and so it was a successful adventure :mrgreen:

but in all seriousness, well done and even tho it didn't go all to plan, that first picture of a ranger wandering the wilds is a worthy souvenir, can't wait to see the video's
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Dang dude, hats off for your perseverance! Sounds like Sauron really had his eye on you!

I was really intrigued by your loaf of (waybread? fruitcake? couldn't tell haha). What is it made of? It looks really hearty and durable for travel!
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Experimental archeology at its finest! It stinks that you had a rough go, but what you learned from it is valuable not just for you but for the members here that have not had the chance to head out themselves.
Thank you for that.

And I have to admit, something about pictures 4-6 got me in my feelings. The fog and the leaves remind me of home, even though I know my forests were different. Great stuff.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

O-ho-ho-boy have I been there. Glad to hear you're alright, and looking ahead!

60 lbs is definitely a lot to be carrying without modern support and suspension. I'll be trekking in the near future and am sincerely hoping to remember to get an accurate fully-loaded weight before I leave for my own information. I'll happily share that information with you to help you see how how low you can get the weight of a primitive pack complete with Ranger gear (ie. non-necessity items of today like archery equipment, swords, etc.)

Definitely try to work what you're doing into your daily life. I try to wear as few layers as possible going into fall so that by the time trekking season rolls around I'm well acclimated to colder weather and it helps me with sleeping at night. Similarly...take hikes! Get miles underfoot! Go jogging! Whatever you have to do to ensure that your fitness level doesn't meet, but rather exceeds your needs for a 15-mile hike, etc.

Many happy returns; carry on!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Greg wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:14 am I try to wear as few layers as possible going into fall so that by the time trekking season rolls around I'm well acclimated to colder weather and it helps me with sleeping at night.
I used to work outdoors all year round in all weathers, to avoid growing soft now that I drive instead I leave the windows down in winter. I still think I'm losing a bit of hardiness but it's enough.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Eofor wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:58 am I used to work outdoors all year round in all weathers, to avoid growing soft now that I drive instead I leave the windows down in winter. I still think I'm losing a bit of hardiness but it's enough.
If one forces themselves into the cold, they can begin to like it and feel for the winter. That's what I've been doing for the last few years.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
redhandfilms

Post by redhandfilms »

Last night, my wife and I did a live cooking stream on Twitch showcasing the recipes from my recent trek and talking about my experience. Rabbit Stew, Beef Jerky & Lentil Stew, Fruit & Nut Ration Bars, Oatmeal made with Ration Bars, "Strider Spice Blend", and 2 loose leaf tea blends. It was a busy night. We will be eating stew for the foreseeable future!
I wanted to share the recording of the stream here (with some shout outs to this group/forum). It's about 2.5 hours long. Eventually, this recording will move to Youtube and the recipes will be written out and featured on her blog, www.thegluttonousgeek.com .
Enjoy.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1639010375
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Cool stuff :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Oh, that's awesome! I'll watch that tonight for sure. Thanks for posting!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain