Mae Govannen from Georgia, USA!

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Barandir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Mae Govannen from Georgia, USA!

Post by Barandir »

Hello all!
Can't express how glad I am to finally introduce myself to you all. I have been in love with Tolkien since I first saw the films when I was 12, and used to trek through the woods behind my grandparents' house with a stick sword and a blanket for a cloak, playing at being Aragorn and Legolas, wishing I knew other people that I could share that with. Then a few months ago I discovered BrianGrubbs' videos on TikTok, and realized you guys did exist after all! I've been lurking on the site for a couple of months now, and finally feel I have enough of an idea and persona developed that I can show something with substance. I would love any and all feedback!

I decided to start with a Third Age Dunedain, set maybe 10-ish years after the events of the Hobbit, as people start to notice increased movements by Mordor and their agents in the North. I went with the name Barandir, a deviation from the Sindarin Brandir, meaning "noble man" (a nearly identical meaning to my own name), and coincidentally sharing baran, meaning "brown-headed" as I am (or was lol). While the commonly held idea is that most of the Dunedain Rangers stayed fairly close to Eriador within a certain range of their settlements, I like to think that Barandir is a wandering soul in love with the world, and sometimes ranges as far east as Erebor and Dale, thus encountering and befriending dwarves and citizens of Dale alike. I have plans to incorporate this into some of my kit as well.

I have some elements of kit already, but not enough to put together a coherent ensemble yet. I've been interested in Ren Faires and watched the Townsend channel for years, so I have a bunch of assorted stuff in this category, but need to get a few more things before I can put together my starting look. I have a couple of pieces of soft kit in the mail as we speak, and intend to make a haversack here shortly; I already have what I need for a starting hard kit and weapons from my collecting and previous camping experience, but intend to replace them piecemeal as I acquire the things I have picked out for this persona.

Again, any advice is appreciated!
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Mae Govannen from Georgia, USA!

Post by Peter Remling »

Welcome and sounds like you're off to a good start.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Well met! This is the best place.
Frodo lives!
redhandfilms

Post by redhandfilms »

Mae Govannen from Georgia as well! I'm in Atlanta (Dunwoody). I'm new here as well. Been planning my first trip for a few months and it's happening next week! I'm headed to the Cohutta Wilderness in North Georgia for a 4 night trek.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

@redhandfilms I'm only about an hour from you, I'm in Monroe! I'll be camping myself this weekend, but sadly not in persona since it's for a bach party.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
redhandfilms

Post by redhandfilms »

Barandir wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:10 pm but sadly not in persona since it's for a bach party.
You're hanging out with the wrong crowd. At a Ren Fair bachlor party garb is required and guaranteed to be even wilder! haha!
Maybe we should meet in the middle at Stone Mountain sometime. Perhaps get together a Georgia Moot. I know there is another ranger in Gainesville, but they seem to have gone quiet. Joined in June, silent by July. OParnoShoshoi, where did you go?
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to future posts!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Welcome Barandir, may your stay be long and productive!
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

redhandfilms wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:01 pm Maybe we should meet in the middle at Stone Mountain sometime. Perhaps get together a Georgia Moot.
I would love that! Ren Faire would be a lot of fun too.

Cimrandir, Eofor, thank you! Can't wait to dive in!!

Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Welcome Ranger, may your journey be pleasant, and our paths cross if we are indeed fortunate.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Welcome Ranger :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Welcome Ranger!
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

Barandir wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:10 pm @redhandfilms I'm only about an hour from you, I'm in Monroe! I'll be camping myself this weekend, but sadly not in persona since it's for a bach party.
And I'm about an hour and a half from you up in Clarksville!
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)