Dwarven utility/bushcraft Knife (viking seax/WETA inspired) - pic heavy

From the Blue Mountains to the Iron Hills...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Dwarven utility/bushcraft Knife (viking seax/WETA inspired) - pic heavy

Post by Manveruon »

HOLY CRAP.

I’ve been trying to catch up on some older posts here that I missed over the last few months, so I only JUST saw this, but… just… HOLY CRAP.

This is some seriously INCREDIBLE work, Iodo! I love how you have incorporated the strong, angular geometry of the Wētā Dwarven aesthetic, and even some of the shapes from the props in the Hobbit movies, but still kept it firmly grounded in reality and functionality (UNlike many of the Wētā designs from the Hobbit). I have rarely ever seen a piece that screams “DWARF!” quite as much as this does. But also, it’s has none of that rough-hewn ugliness so common in Dwarven designs seen throughout popular media these days - it LOOKS polished and well-made! (Also, the inscription is absolutely delightful, and I literally laughed out loud when I read the translation! :lol: )

Once again, just fantastic work here! You should be proud!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Yavion »

Thanks for bumping this, Manv! I totally missed it the first time around too and I'm so glad I get to see it.
I'll just add my praise to the pile. Well done!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Awesome, thank you so much guys, that is high praise :P

and alas, I still haven't had time to make a sheath, but I will!
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
blazo

Post by blazo »

I'm new to the forum and was basically searching for middle earth inspired knives and sheaths and found this forum and thread. I like what weta did with the dwarvish culture especially their weapons and stone work styles and have often thought about incorporating it somehow into my knives.

It's great to see someone do it. I like your version of dwarven "filework."

I'll probably be browsing the forum for awhile. Sorry if the thread is too old. I'd be interested though to see what you do or did for a sheath.

Thanks for sharing this online.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

No problem, glad you like it :P and honestly I am yet to make a sheath for this, I have been to busy but I had in mind a traditional seax sheath with some matching tooling and some brass trim
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
blazo

Post by blazo »

I understand about not having the time I'd like for a lot of my projects. And I probably spend more time than I should actually. I have never made a seax or looked into them too much. I searched viking seax sheath and I think I got a good idea of what you mean. That would defininitly lend itself to dwarvish style adaptation.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Mae Govannen blazo!
Frodo lives!