Dwarven utility/bushcraft Knife (viking seax/WETA inspired) - pic heavy

From the Blue Mountains to the Iron Hills...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Dwarven utility/bushcraft Knife (viking seax/WETA inspired) - pic heavy

Post by Iodo »

This has been my biggest dwarven kit project in a while. The story began when I watched a video by Eric C introducing a competition by the YouTube channel Tyrell Knifeworks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLc0gpMPHT0&t=19s), and I thought why not enter? but I haven't got the equipment to make a blade so I asked if I could get one made by someone else, and apparently that was fine if I said I had done that. So then I started designing and it quickly became more complicated than I had originally planned, as these things do :lol:

This is the blade blank as I received it:

It was beautifully made by Guy Stainthorp (https://www.ukcustomknives.co.uk/) who was very kind to do this for me because he doesn't normally do blade blanks, and is 5mm thick 01 tool steel with a forge blackened finish. I did make some small changes to it to make it look more fantasy and less like a historic knife blade, and I had intended to polish the bevels but I didn't get time

I did take a lot of progress photo's along the way, but it was rushed so I didn't get chance to post stuff as I went along, so here's a rough outline of some of the steps:

^initially I cut the brass from bar stock, then made the slots by drilling holes and filing

^I milled the corners off at 45 degrees, but the sideways swept angles on the pommel and guard were hand finished using a file because I decided that would actually be quicker than building a jig to machine them

^Then I did engraving and file-work, and polished all the brass

^Because everything was so precisely done in metal and I didn't want to use any spacers for risk of making the construction look to modern, the only way I could get the wood to meet up properly was by machining it square in a milling machine, unconventional I know (and difficult to keep sawdust out of the cutting oil tank) but it worked, then I filed it down as close to the finished design as I dared, and seated the pin that was required to be incorporated into the design for the competition. The pin doesn't go all the way through the tang, just through the wood on both sides

^Then finally time for glue, I put it all together in the clamp (thankfully with the engraving design the right way around)

and after filing the wood down to the proper profile, and peening the end it's finally finished:

I made this with the idea in mind that this would be a gift to Iodo (a haphazard young explorer) from her Great grandfarther, who had made her several knives before, so the message in the runes is deliberately a little silly, I'm sure there is at-least one person here who can translate them

All I need to do now is make a sheath :P

------

[EDIT] I didn't win the competition, but I didn't expect to even come close, but here's the link to the video showing the winning blades if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSAzCt3EzYY

and Tyrell put a slideshow of all the viewer entries on they're facebook, mine is at 1:07 and Eric C's is at 0:50

https://www.facebook.com/denis.tyrell/v ... 2651119526
Last edited by Iodo on Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: Dwarven utility/bushcraft Knife (viking seax/WETA inspired) - pic heavy

Post by Cimrandir »

Whoa! That looks incredible! How very marvelous. A job very well done. The brass and the wood is such a beautiful combination.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is just amazing work! Your own skills far outshine the blade itself!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Jack
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Jack »

Thats so cool! Really nailed the aesthetic (in my mind at least). And LOL at the message in runes. I'm sure that'll come in handy if it is ever misplaced exploring the mountainside or the desolation of Smaug :mrgreen:
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

That's some really smooth work Iodo, I love how your gear is always working and evolving and you never hesitate to push your boundaries.

Your progress photos are much better than mine too. I usually start quite well but miss all of the Middle stages as I become engrossed in the work.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Wow, you did a beautiful job!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thank you all :P

Jack wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:49 pm And LOL at the message in runes. I'm sure that'll come in handy if it is ever misplaced exploring the mountainside or the desolation of Smaug :mrgreen:

yep, for those who wonder, the runes on the pommel say:

Iron
Hills

and the ones on the guard:

Return
to Iodo

written by a Great Grandfather who is fed up of a haphazard and scatterbrained daughter who looses almost everything he ever makes for her :lol:

Eofor wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:12 pm Your progress photos are much better than mine too. I usually start quite well but miss all of the Middle stages as I become engrossed in the work.

I intend to make a video about the project at some point, so these are mostly stills from the clips I filmed, but I was rushed so I don't think I have enough to make a proper step by step film like I have of some of my other projects
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Iodo, this incredible work! I'm really blown away by the file-work. I've done a few knife handles myself in the past, but I could never do something like this!
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thanks so much :P
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

I'm impressed with all you're work, but this one really left a mark on my memories.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

redhandfilms

Post by redhandfilms »

Absolutely stunning!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

redhandfilms wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:16 pm Absolutely stunning!
Thank you so much :P
Meganbeyer
Wanderer

Post by Meganbeyer »

Wow! That came out beautifully.

Now I have more ideas as I get back to my kit building. I have a knife with a loose handle and this would be a way to save the blade and give it new life.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Meganbeyer wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:30 am Wow! That came out beautifully.

Now I have more ideas as I get back to my kit building. I have a knife with a loose handle and this would be a way to save the blade and give it new life.
Thanks so much :P

yep, things like that can be great for projects, can't wait to see what you come up with and good to see you back on the forum btw