Kai needs a ranger name

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Kai needs a ranger name

Post by Eric C »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rxnjr4yQPx2fZHiW9

So, this little guy is Kai. He's my 4 month old grandson. He is very curious. He needs a ranger name. I have always used pixelated Feanor for my names, but it seems to have disappeared. I can't find it, or any mention of it.

Please! Don't let my grandson be nameless. :lol:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Kai needs a ranger name

Post by Elleth »

How cute!!!! :mrgreen:

... do you mean you want a Sindarin name? Or "Kai" rendered in tengwar?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I'm not as up to speed on the different Elvish languages/dialects. His Mom wanted something that shows that he is curious. For my daughter and myself, our names reflect personality, past, appearance. Things like that.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I sadly do not know enough to help, but he certainly does look curious, something along those lines would suit him well :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Maybe something in the direction of...

deep (of water) => lhûn
+
sight => cen- (i gên, i chenir)
+ masculine -ir suffix
-----------------
Lungenir ( "LOON-geh-near") (which isn't too far from "Lugh" of Celtic folklore if that's appealing)

alternately -
calen (fresh/green/vigorous) +cen (sight) => Calengin / Calenghen

Words from elftdict, and my Sindarin mutations were never good and are super rusty now, so don't take it as gospel. But perhaps that's a starting point?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

From Sindarin scholar Elaran after I asked him about a name meaning “curious” -
The masculine agental form of the verb "to examine, question (& be curious about) [etc.]" would make a good nickname, I think: Cethron (read "C" as "K").

Edit: I am realising that the linguistic jargon may not be clear to all. The "masculine agental form of 'to question' etc." would be "(male) questioner", and that is what Cethron means. Or more loosely "(male) one who has curiosity".
Edit to add his edit.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hmm. let me run a couple of these names by my daughter and see what she says.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Cimrandir wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:35 pm From Sindarin scholar Elaran after I asked him about a name meaning “curious” -
The masculine agental form of the verb "to examine, question (& be curious about) [etc.]" would make a good nickname, I think: Cethron (read "C" as "K").

Edit: I am realising that the linguistic jargon may not be clear to all. The "masculine agental form of 'to question' etc." would be "(male) questioner", and that is what Cethron means. Or more loosely "(male) one who has curiosity".
Edit to add his edit.
That's awesome! Not to derail the thread, but do you think there's any chance you might be able to put me in touch with this Sindarin scholar of yours? I'd love to run my own name ideas by someone who has a better grasp of the language and its naming conventions than I do, just to make sure I'm not bungling anything horribly before I submit for MERS approval.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains