MERS Fall 2022 Trek Recap

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: MERS Fall 2022 Trek Recap

Post by Greg »

You're right...it can be annoying. And sometimes filming is just too inconvenient, which is why sometimes several hours of hiking in the rain is summed up in about ten seconds of footage. We get what we get. But we're thrilled to be able to put out a product like this that you all can enjoy, which hopefully will inspire others to pursue adventures like or different from ours.

This trip really helped me dial in some things that hadn't previously been problems, but weren't necessarily ideal. I sewed and spliced up a new tumpline literally two days before the trip, threw my blanket on it stuffed with food and my water pump, and wound up absolutely in love with it for this, which was the farthest Middle-earth kitted trip I've taken. I also forgot to try out an idea I had for carrying my bow on my back, so I mocked it up on the morning of day two with tools I had on hand (which seems more appropriate anyway) and absolutely nailed it. Carried it that way for the remainder of the trip, and it hasn't changed since. Thrilling. Now that the holidays are over, I'll start bringing these improvements to the forum for discussion, but I couldn't be more thrilled with the idea of actually making major tweaks while on the trail living it, rather than having problems on the trail and trying to fix them at home while at rest.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Greg wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:28 am You're right...it can be annoying. And sometimes filming is just too inconvenient, which is why sometimes several hours of hiking in the rain is summed up in about ten seconds of footage. We get what we get. But we're thrilled to be able to put out a product like this that you all can enjoy, which hopefully will inspire others to pursue adventures like or different from ours.

This trip really helped me dial in some things that hadn't previously been problems, but weren't necessarily ideal. I sewed and spliced up a new tumpline literally two days before the trip, threw my blanket on it stuffed with food and my water pump, and wound up absolutely in love with it for this, which was the farthest Middle-earth kitted trip I've taken. I also forgot to try out an idea I had for carrying my bow on my back, so I mocked it up on the morning of day two with tools I had on hand (which seems more appropriate anyway) and absolutely nailed it. Carried it that way for the remainder of the trip, and it hasn't changed since. Thrilling. Now that the holidays are over, I'll start bringing these improvements to the forum for discussion, but I couldn't be more thrilled with the idea of actually making major tweaks while on the trail living it, rather than having problems on the trail and trying to fix them at home while at rest.
That sounds fantastic! I can’t wait to see the method you came up with for carrying the bow!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

"A Beorning, a Gondorian and a Ranger........" Did you miss ".......Walk into a tavern" off that statement perchance?
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
MiketheBlacksmith
Wanderer

Post by MiketheBlacksmith »

I was lucky enough to catch the countdown and premier. Great job. I appreciate how much work lead up to the trek and the recording of it. Inspire you did. I had seen Ranger videos early last spring and thought of putting some targets along the trails in my woods . The point in my mind was to make up some "Ranger" kit and go out and experiment.
I had no idea others were already doing things. Then I found Edge of the Wild , lots newsletters to read. Then I found this forum . Inspiring content, THANKS.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

MiketheBlacksmith wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:12 pm I was lucky enough to catch the countdown and premier. Great job. I appreciate how much work lead up to the trek and the recording of it. Inspire you did. I had seen Ranger videos early last spring and thought of putting some targets along the trails in my woods . The point in my mind was to make up some "Ranger" kit and go out and experiment.
I had no idea others were already doing things. Then I found Edge of the Wild , lots newsletters to read. Then I found this forum . Inspiring content, THANKS.
So glad to have you here, and glad to have been of some service! Stick around...this is a good bunch of people.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.