Warm Greetings from a New Member!

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

TheSmallGaul
Wayfarer

Warm Greetings from a New Member!

Post by TheSmallGaul »

Hello and well met!

My name is Dawson, I'm 24 years old, and I am beyond excited to finally be participating on the forum! I just wanted to make this quick post to give an introduction and shake out my rusty "forum writing" skills!

I'm a big fan of ancient history, and am currently enrolled in school for Anthropology/Archaeology. My main interest is in the Stone Age, Bronze Age, and early Iron Age. I also love animals and wildlife. I have experience with archery, horseback riding, bushcraft, and some primitive skills. I enjoy hiking, reading, writing, and smoking my pipe!

I was exposed to the Middle Earth Reenactment Society and their work recently, and it ignited a passion in me. I have been a lover of Tolkien's world since I was a child. My mother would read the Hobbit to me at night before bed. Seeing the historically based kits and practical skills based in his world really resonated with me. The idea of building a kit, doing the research, learning practical skills, and setting off into the wilds is so very inspiring, and I can't wait to share my journey with you all!

My wife and I recently settled into our new home in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I am stoked to be somewhere with so much natural beauty to go hand in hand with this new hobby! Hopefully I can start thinking of some decent personas that would fit the geography of the area!

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post! I look forward to getting to meet you all!

Safe Travels!
“A very good tale! The best I have heard for a long while. If all beggars could tell such a good one, they might find me kinder.”
----
Persona: Darnmund, Beorning Shepherd of the Vales c. TA 2985
Harper
Haeropada

Re: Warm Greetings from a New Member!

Post by Harper »

Welcome Ranger!
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Welcome!
Frodo lives!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Welcome Dawson!
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Welcome! I'm pleased to hear you found your way here through exposure to the MERS, and that it sounds you have a good background for this adventure. It also helps that you're not afraid of a little research ; )
I also studied Anthro/Archeo in school, and started out more interested in Migration-era Europe but as the years (and my pursuits of this hobby) have proceeded I've been moving ever back in time. (1250 BCE is the place to be!) If you've arrived with a prehistoric bent you're already in a better starting place!
We look forward to helping you develop a rewarding persona/impression!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
TheSmallGaul
Wayfarer

Post by TheSmallGaul »

-Thank you for the greeting Harper! I hope to live up to that title!

-Thank you Taylor! I look forward to our conversations!

-Thank you Peter! Love your post on Dwarven Totem Animals! It was a nice read!

-I was the exact same way Udwin! When I first started to get into history/archaeology, I was so interested in the Migration-era! Over time I have just gone further and further back in time. It's a desire of mine to craft a neolithic style camping kit out of buckskin, but I digress. It has also been brought to my attention that I have seen your work before without even realizing it! A month or so ago when I was browsing as a guest, I kept coming back to your "Redressing a Beorning" post as inspiration. Wasn't until I looked back yesterday that I realized it was yours! Big fan of your work my friend!
“A very good tale! The best I have heard for a long while. If all beggars could tell such a good one, they might find me kinder.”
----
Barandir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Barandir »

Welcome, Ranger! Hope your stay is adventurous!
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

TheSmallGaul I look forward to seeing your exploits...and dont worry about living up to the name...HAVE FUN!
Frodo lives!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Welcome to the boards Dawson, your enthusiasm and passion come through quite clearly in your post and I look forward to seeing where they take you.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Welcome! Well met, Dawson!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
TheSmallGaul
Wayfarer

Post by TheSmallGaul »

-Thank you Eofor! It means a lot to hear that! I hope to share that passion and enthusiasm with others!

-Thank you Eothain! Well met to you!
----
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Mae govannen! Welcome to the forum!

Glad to have another archaeologist on the board. I've been working full-time in the field for many years now and lemme tell you, it's a great base to work off of for this hobby. Unlike the rest of you Stone Age heathens, I'm still pretty firmly entrenched into the Late Antiquity/Migration Period with an emphasis on the post-Roman British/Gauls dealing with the migrating Germanic peoples. Ultimately though I'm mostly interested in frontier archaeology, trade-routes, and whatever else I can get my hands on but since time and money are short, this is my current expression of my interests. I'm sure one day I'll swing around to the Mesolithic and Bronze Age and all the rest.

It's also quite exciting to have a member join on account of the posts from MERS! I am not yet a member myself but it's great to see the reach they are getting!

Very much looking forward to seeing you post in the future!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Welcome :P It sounds like you have some interesting ideas :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Welcome Ranger
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
TheSmallGaul
Wayfarer

Post by TheSmallGaul »

-Mae govannen to you as well Cimrandir!
It's so exciting to be surrounded by so many like-minded individuals! Especially exciting to be in contact with another archaeologist! Definitely some interesting periods of history to be interested in! Late antiquity/Post-Rome is a time period I feel doesn't get a lot of love and attention! I felt the same way for a while, but was then exposed to the beautiful world of early humans. I'd love to have conversations on the matter though, if you're interested!
Something about seeing how they and many on this forum represent Tolkien's world just struck such a real and resounding chord with me. Seeing Tolkien's work put into a accurate/semi-historical approach intrigues me, and I've been looking to mix my love of the outdoors and hiking with reenactment and Tolkien! Can't wait to engage with you on the forums some more! Thank you for the greeting!

-Hello Iodo! It's awesome to get a reply from you!
I'm a longtime follower of your content on YouTube. You were pretty influential in my final decision to jump on the forums! Love the work you do, keep it up! Can't wait to hear more from you!

-Thank you for the welcome Tom_Ranger!
----