Non-fantasy rangers, other hobbies?

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Non-fantasy rangers, other hobbies?

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

Just curious if anyone else here does any non-fantasy ranging, or has any other related hobbies?

For instance. I love a good bow and cloak combo, but I also like a good poncho and rifle combo. Similar idea to being a Ranger, just a different setting.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
MiketheBlacksmith
Wanderer

Re: Non-fantasy rangers, other hobbies?

Post by MiketheBlacksmith »

Yes ,we can do that. But a duster with a 1873 Winchester in 44WCF better known as .44-40 and a pair of Richards Mason conversions in .44 Colt
redhandfilms
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by redhandfilms »

OParnoShoshoi wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:40 am I love a good bow and cloak combo, but I also like a good poncho and rifle combo.
How about crossbow and camo cloak.
viewtopic.php?t=4910
I made modern ranger gear for hunting.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I did a post-apocalyptic ranger a few years ago. The pics are very blurry otherwise I'd post them. I wore a brown fedora with a pair of brass goggles for the sun and dust. I wore a modified leather sleeveless duster. over a khaki pair of pants and dull gray shirt. For weaponry I had the short sword I made from an old Windlass straight kindjal (about 45 years ago) , a large bowie knife and carried a short wide bladed spear made from a straight hoe. The haft of the spear had repeating colored markings on it every inch or so for tracking purposes. For defense I converted a VW hubcap into a buckler. Ranger/Scavenger
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

MiketheBlacksmith wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:24 am Yes ,we can do that. But a duster with a 1873 Winchester in 44WCF better known as .44-40 and a pair of Richards Mason conversions in .44 Colt
Right out the gate with an amazing reply. I just picked up a k31 Swiss and it's making me yearn for the wide open deserts out west.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

Peter Remling wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:24 pm I did a post-apocalyptic ranger a few years ago. The pics are very blurry otherwise I'd post them. I wore a brown fedora with a pair of brass goggles for the sun and dust. I wore a modified leather sleeveless duster. over a khaki pair of pants and dull gray shirt. For weaponry I had the short sword I made from an old Windlass straight kindjal (about 45 years ago) , a large bowie knife and carried a short wide bladed spear made from a straight hoe. The haft of the spear had repeating colored markings on it every inch or so for tracking purposes. For defense I converted a VW hubcap into a buckler. Ranger/Scavenger
That sounds awesome. Complete post apocalyptic Ranger, and leans on one of my favorite tropes, ammo scarcity.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

redhandfilms wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:23 pm
OParnoShoshoi wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:40 am I love a good bow and cloak combo, but I also like a good poncho and rifle combo.
How about crossbow and camo cloak.
viewtopic.php?t=4910
I made modern ranger gear for hunting.
Oh great, like I didn't have enough projects on my list, now I gotta add this lol
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Actually, a vast majority of my rangering is non-fantasy.

In the 1920's/30's there were people wearing tattered clothes or potato sacks or flour sacks as clothes for their kids, and I as a prepper wanted to know how to make a soft kit with little more than a blanket. I also backpack and hike and wanted to eliminate the ALICE and MOLLI systems and just use something using coordage. As it turns out, the old ways are the best ways and almost all of my clothes I have adapted the old school techniques to everything I do.

New items in stores are designed to sorta work, and to fail and get you to buy more.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

does a hobby of wandering off path in the woods/mountains/wilderness for fun if in ranger gear or otherwise count? in Scotland I will often carry my favourite bushcraft gear set (that is all modern and light weight), hike somewhere wild, cook lunch over a fire box and stay for the day
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Iodo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:08 am does a hobby of wandering off path in the woods/mountains/wilderness for fun if in ranger gear or otherwise count? in Scotland I will often carry my favourite bushcraft gear set (that is all modern and light weight), hike somewhere wild, cook lunch over a fire box and stay for the day
Yes! Even in Middle earth Rangering it would count. First you are out in the woods and more importantly, you've garnered the skills. Anyone can hike, not everyone takes the time to learn how to use a flint and steel or to prepare a fire, determine what to take with you. Then probably more importantly than the rest is to be at home in the woods and comfortable with yourself and your abilitites.
Ghostsoldier

Post by Ghostsoldier »

I have done a lot of WW2 field tacticals... total immersion events for a couple of days at a time, with my USGI gear and Thompson SMG.

It's fun... plus, the threat/thrill of getting shot (with blanks) by the Wehrmacht while on patrol is always a plus.

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Jack

Post by Jack »

Sure, I hike, camp, hunt, I scout public land during the off season, and I enjoy bushcrafting. I also do amateur field research and experiments as part of a citizen scientist project in my area collecting data on creatures that are thought to be extinct or extirpated like red wolves, "panthers", black bears, "relict hominids", and the ivory billed woodpecker which equates to a LOT of time spent out in the woods for days on end lol
MiketheBlacksmith wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:24 am Yes ,we can do that. But a duster with a 1873 Winchester in 44WCF better known as .44-40 and a pair of Richards Mason conversions in .44 Colt
Ah I see you're a man of culture as well,
Although personally I prefer my model 1886 in .50-110 WCF :lol:
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
MiketheBlacksmith
Wanderer

Post by MiketheBlacksmith »

Jack wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:42 am Ah I see you're a man of culture as well,
Although personally I prefer my model 1886 in .50-110 WCF :lol:
Thank you, I see you are one as well.
I had a 86 in .50-110 express, also a roller in 50-140 and a number of Sharps,a roller and trapdoors in 50-70.
Back then we made 50 brass from 348win. They have moved on but still love my old west guns.

This forum has expanded my "Ranger" timeline.
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:13 am Actually, a vast majority of my rangering is non-fantasy.

In the 1920's/30's there were people wearing tattered clothes or potato sacks or flour sacks as clothes for their kids, and I as a prepper wanted to know how to make a soft kit with little more than a blanket. I also backpack and hike and wanted to eliminate the ALICE and MOLLI systems and just use something using coordage. As it turns out, the old ways are the best ways and almost all of my clothes I have adapted the old school techniques to everything I do.

New items in stores are designed to sorta work, and to fail and get you to buy more.

As someone living in southern Appalachia, I hear what you're saying.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

Iodo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:08 am does a hobby of wandering off path in the woods/mountains/wilderness for fun if in ranger gear or otherwise count? in Scotland I will often carry my favourite bushcraft gear set (that is all modern and light weight), hike somewhere wild, cook lunch over a fire box and stay for the day
Absolutely. So I didn't peg you as Scottish based on your YouTube videos. Are you in southern Scotland? What's the terrain like on your area? When I think of Scotland, I think of huge moors that look painful to climb.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)