Forging: How do I get there?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Forging: How do I get there?

Post by Peter Remling »

I urge you to check out Eric's YouTube channel. Eric's a long-time member and his channel shows the learning curve. Eric doesn't just tell you how, he shows his wins and his loses so you can take advantage of the lessons he learns. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfyLdq3s7rk
MiketheBlacksmith
Wanderer

Re: Forging: How do I get there?

Post by MiketheBlacksmith »

I have watched Eric's channel and many other you-tube blacksmiths. Yes you can learn watching but if you really want to answer the question " Forging: How do I get there? there is nothing like live demos and being able to ask questions.

An place for many to find contacts is through ABANA I have been a member since the 70's.
From their site.
"The Artist-Blacksmith’s Association of North America (ABANA) is a community of blacksmiths, artisans, and enthusiasts dedicated to the preservation and the advancement of blacksmithing as both profession and hobby. We strive to provide opportunities for individuals and local affiliate organizations to further their blacksmithing education, strengthen their skills, and hone their craft. Showcasing the rich and vibrant work of modern smiths, while providing historical context, is central to our mission as we work to increase awareness of the art and craft amongst design professionals, architects, and the public."

They have local groups in many states, and there are organizations like this in many countries around the world. Many foreign smiths have attended the ABANA conferences.
Home page
https://abana.org/
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Mike, the idea was to show what one member is doing. There are hundreds of posts showcasing what members are doing. This is just one more!
MiketheBlacksmith
Wanderer

Post by MiketheBlacksmith »

Peter Remling wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:10 am Mike, the idea was to show what one member is doing. There are hundreds of posts showcasing what members are doing. This is just one more!
Peter, that is what I so appreciate about this forum. Members actually create or commission truly fine pieces to fit their persona. There are a lot of talented Rangers posting great projects and taking the time to document construction and help others with sources of materials. To me that is unique in a forum, or is it you find the best last?

Eric has been smithing for some time . I just posted the link if others felt the urge to pick up a hammer and find out more for themselves.
Us old smiths are always looking for young arms for strikers.