Light Source.

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Light Source.

Post by Tom_Ranger »

It's been a spell since I read the Tolken books but I don't recall much discussion if any about light sources other than a fire, torch, or Gandalf's staff as he used in the films. But I came across another video about light sources in the ages past and I'm wondering if anybody in the forums or LARPs have put any real thought into it being authentic. Here is the video I came across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1U666xoaX8
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Light Source.

Post by Greg »

Candles are discussed pretty consistently, and 'Rushlight' is both a historical method for lighting as well as a last name in the Breelands, suggesting at its use, so there's a few options.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
redhandfilms
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by redhandfilms »

Lanterns are mentioned about 30 times in the books (quick word search). I specifically remember lanterns on farmer Maggot’s wagons and the lampwrights in Minas Tirath.
The biggest issue for me is I couldn’t find any reference to what kind of fuel is used in the lanterns. There are obviously candles and any society with candles would have some form of candle lanterns. It’s literally just something around a candle to protect it from wind.
I have not been able to find any reference to oil or alcohol being used in lanterns but they are possible. Denathor’s pyre at least proves oil was known to be flammable, but did they use it for lighting?
They certainly had alcohol in beer and wine, but was it ever distilled enough to spirits that would burn? I know that the distillation process first creates toxic methyl alcohol before the good stuff. A Gondorian whiskey company could collect the methyl first to sell as lantern fuel. Just speculation here.

Personally, I would go with a rustic candle lantern. A box candle tin would be appropriate and small and lightweight. One like this, https://www.townsends.us/collections/la ... 278-p-1556
but don’t spend $75, that’s a bit outrageous.

For diy, look at a rawhide lantern like these from Cimbrer.
https://youtu.be/TgvYKn6zjVE
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Frankly, even in modern-day style camping I don't need much light after dark aside from the campfire. Then again, I like sleep so I prep my things before sundown and then head to bed early. I wouldn't even worry about having a smaller light source as in my opinion it's probably more trouble than it's worth. If needs must, candles with a tin would probably work the best.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Cimrandir wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:11 am If needs must, candles with a tin would probably work the best.
I carry a couple in the event of needing to mend or repair gear. The firelight just isn't concentrated enough.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Turgolanas
Dúnadan

Post by Turgolanas »

I carry a folding lantern, as well as a number of small short candles. The folding lantern doesn't put out a ton of light, but it is better than nothing, especially in windy areas. The short candles are great for an easy to get to light source, or for starting fires in wet areas - I need to get more, now that I used some for that purpose. I do cheat and use a small lighter to light the candles, I haven't figured out how to do it without a match or lighter.

I also have a number of non-folding lanterns for a more permanent camp, they work very well for lighting where tents are, or showing a path. Also, using a lantern for light late at night is just fun in my opinion lol.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Eofor wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:18 pm
Cimrandir wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:11 am If needs must, candles with a tin would probably work the best.
I carry a couple in the event of needing to mend or repair gear. The firelight just isn't concentrated enough.
Fair enough. My eyes are bad enough that a candle still isn’t going to do much so I usually call it quits with the hiking early enough that I still have daylight to work with if I need to repair something.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain