Show Me Your Hot Kits

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

warwell

Show Me Your Hot Kits

Post by warwell »

Hello rangers.

I am looking to create a ranger kit for LARP and am looking for inspiration. Please post pics of your kit so I can get ideas.

Specifically, I'm looking for kit that meets these qualifications.
  • I live in South Florida so I need a kit designed for hot and humid weather.
  • This is for LARP so strict accuracy is not necessary. I just want to look the part.
  • However, I may take up light hiking and camping in garb. So I'll need something that also works for these activities.
Looking forward to see what you've got!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Show Me Your Hot Kits

Post by Peter Remling »

I'll assume you mean warm weather kit. The picture of me on the bearskin rug, didn't go over so well the last time! :P
warwell

Post by warwell »

Yes, warm weather, please. I'll pass on the bearskin rug. :)
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

viewtopic.php?t=443&hilit=hot+weather

viewtopic.php?p=6287&hilit=far+harad#p6287

I would definitely consider a hammock for Florida because of all the things that slither and crawl. The Dunedain are of Numenorian decent so there is a seafaring backgroud. While I don't recall a specific reference, I think that hammocks can be justified.
warwell

Post by warwell »

Thank you! Those links are very helpful.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I feel your pain, it is so hard to come up with any sort of fantasy costume and have it comfortable to wear in the summer and still look good/convincing! I put quite a lot of time into this problem a few years ago, because I didn't want middle earth reenacting to only be something I could do in the winter, that and all events/festivals/medieval fairs etc... are in the summer

some stuff to think about:
- make everything out of thin fabrics
- try to stick to linen (if you cant afford linen, "linen look" cottons are quite good nowadays, just avoid the plain color thin "shirt cotton" fabrics, they just look to smooth and refined to fit in in the fantasy setting
- loose clothing is cooler because it casts shade instead of the fabric being in direct contact with your skin while the sun beats down on it
- layers often make the look of a fantasy costume, but layers also add warmth so if you use trims and borders instead you create the same look without adding more fabric
- thin hoods and hats will keep the sun off well
- it can still look fancy but try to keep it simple

here's an example of one of my kits:

^if I had historic footwear I could easily skip the gaiters, those grey pants are nice thin linen so they are not bad to wear in real heat, but they would do much better if they were more baggy

full post here: https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... php?t=4062

If your climate allows, layering with a surcoat made from a thin linen or cotton will really help achieve the ranger look:

^this was made for a summer medieval fair

full post here: https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... php?t=4790

Hope this helps :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

Where abouts in south Florida? I’m in west central and I know Ringolf is in Florida as well, when I get a chance I’ll post some pictures of what I’ve come up with for garb / equipment for the marshes
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit
warwell

Post by warwell »

Ft. Lauderdale. Looking forward to the pics.

Iodo, thanks for the ideas.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Since you aren't looking for accuracy you might considder a colonial style shirt which is shorter (won't collect heat from waist area), and has large puffy sleeves. They may LOOK very hot but they are the most comfortable types of shirt I have ever worn. The extra material in the sleeve allows breathing/airflow especially under the arms.

Something similar (but maybe not this one) to the following may work for you.
https://armstreet.com/store/medieval-cl ... -dark-wolf
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

If you want a simple budget option. Take a look at Nepali or Indian Kurta, they come in shirt length and tunic length.
Cotton, linen or linen union they're quite cool to wear and they're obviously not a modern cut... Even better if you go for toggles rather then buttons. The Nepali ones seem to be looser and plainer whereas the Indian ones are more fitted (and to my mind quite Elven looking )
I suppose there no reason why you couldn't wear a long one and a short one.... Layers look good for our stuff
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

warwell wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:51 pm Yes, warm weather, please. I'll pass on the bearskin rug. :)
Don't know what you're missing out on dude.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

I'm curious if anybody has tried using a waist cape? (Basically a cape around your waist to protect your backside more when sitting on things. It can be used to provide extra padding, insulation, mud/snow/water protection.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:41 pm I'm curious if anybody has tried using a waist cape? (Basically a cape around your waist to protect your backside more when sitting on things. It can be used to provide extra padding, insulation, mud/snow/water protection.
Back in the 90s/00s the punks I sometimes hung out with called it a "curb flap" used to protect your trousers from rough concrete when curb sitting. Usually upcycled from another worn out garment like jacket sleeves or old shirts.
Star Wars has waist capes called "kama" worn mostly by Mandalorians and clone troopers, though they show up in other places as well.

But to get back on topic, I'm not sure if one would work for a hot weather/environment kit as it would add another layer to your lower body. I suppose it depends on the type of hot environment we're talking about, as it might work in a dryer climate, but in a more humid one I imagine it's just adding to the possible swampiness....
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Peter Remling wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:11 pm I'll assume you mean warm weather kit. The picture of me on the bearskin rug, didn't go over so well the last time! :P
Awesome!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:41 pm I'm curious if anybody has tried using a waist cape? (Basically a cape around your waist to protect your backside more when sitting on things. It can be used to provide extra padding, insulation, mud/snow/water protection.

Years ago I put together a very accurate historical impression of a pit brow girl (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_brow_women) for a school project, That had a leather waist cape type thing to provide protection from sitting on rocks/sliding down mine tunnels etc... and I actually wore it caving and it worked pretty well, so I always thought if I ever get around to making a dwarven mining kit I would include one of those, however Yavion is right that they are warm, kinda feels like when you wear a long tunic and it keeps the top of your legs warm

For rangering I wouldn't use something like that because it's easier just to have a piece of tarp in your pack to get out for that reason, instead of having it tied to you, however in a mine it makes perfect sense
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.