Esgaroth - Merchant Adventurer Sword

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Rurik of Esgaroth
Wayfarer

Esgaroth - Merchant Adventurer Sword

Post by Rurik of Esgaroth »

I put this on the Facebook page, but here's a little more info -

I know that swords are one of the last things you need (rather than want) but this was something I already had to hand - a Windlass Dutch Cutlass. For now I've just removed the shell guard, but the hilt needs some work and eventually I'd like to try my hand at making a scabbard for it. The POB without the guard is now about eight inches from the hilt - this isn't a quick blade but a beast of a hacker. Blunt and little or no distal taper, but I don't plan to change that - UK laws can be funny about some things.

The short version of the backstory to this is that Rurik is a member of a family from Esgaroth who have traded down the River Running/Celduin with Dorwinion and to the shores of the Sea of Rhun, which is where he bought this sword.
Barandir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Esgaroth - Merchant Adventurer Sword

Post by Barandir »

Very nice, that’s definitely from the old days of Windlass! Another option in regards to the guard would be to either shorten or cut off the knuckle bow completely, which would make the sword seem a little more Middle Earth friendly. Just a thought!
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Oh and welcome to the forum!!
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That looks real nice :P and I know elvish swords aren't meant to be curved but to my eye, that looks like it could be elvish, the ends of the curved hand guard are almost leaf shaped, if you could engrave or etch the veins of a leaf onto each side and add some elvish characters it would be a very nice piece

Welcome :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Rurik of Esgaroth
Wayfarer

Iodo - Looking at this link - https://middle-earth.xenite.org/was-dor ... f-kingdom/ - it seems there is some evidence for both men and elves living in Dorwinion. Given that and the proximity to the "Far East" of Middle Earth, there may be some crossover in sword styles. That's my story anyway. :P
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

cool research, just for ideas sake and despite me very poor attempt at elvish characters (dwarves are not gifted at such things LOL), this is something like what I imagined:

sword 1.jpg
sword 1.jpg (248.41 KiB) Viewed 8266 times

but this was only what I saw when I looked at it, you can give it what ever story you think best fits your impression :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Rurik of Esgaroth
Wayfarer

Iodo - I like the look of that!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Hey, thanks :P if you were very adventurous (and practiced first) you could also do some carving on the wood, or just a leather wrap to make it look a little more ranger-ish
Rurik of Esgaroth
Wayfarer

I'd love to shorten the blade from the hilt end by a couple of inches and have a proper peened pommel, but I don't have the tools or skill. :oops:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Rurik: I've been known to tweak swords a bit, and we at least live in the same country...... Feel free to PM me
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Rurik of Esgaroth
Wayfarer

ForgeCorvus - Thanks for the offer. I'll have to mull that over. Pulling the clamshell guard was a bit of an experiment, and while I sort of like the look, I'm not convinced I could make it work as a Middle Earth weapon? I may hold out for the next batch (hopefully) of Windlass Type XIV's. (Or order one direct?)
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

If you ever decide it doesn't work as a ranger sword and want to move it out of your collection, please DM me here. I'd be happy to take it off your hands if the price is right.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Beautiful sword! It's got a very fine shape! Very fitting for a Merchant Adventurer!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.