Two Tod Cutler knives to try out

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Barandir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Two Tod Cutler knives to try out

Post by Barandir »

So I've always been a fan of Tod Cutler's knives and daggers, and I've owned both of his base level quillon daggers. I also haven't been the happiest with my companion knife scenario for Barandir, which is currently a Condor Hudson Bay knife, and while I do love Tod's daggers, they just aren't the right style for a Ranger of the North. So instead, I've ordered these two beauties from him: the Seax and the Whittle Tang Dagger.

I am planning on testing both of them out and seeing which one I prefer as my larger belt knife. I'll be sure to update you all on my findings/preferences when I've done that! Maybe I'll even finally start recording some videos starting with these, who knows??
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Two Tod Cutler knives to try out

Post by Iodo »

those look real nice :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Thanks! I know everyone on here leans towards the seax as the most likely/reasonable side knife to carry in Middle Earth, but I’m personally leaning towards the dagger myself. It’s a single edge blade meant for utility work as a peasant knife, so it should fit the bill really well!

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Hey everyone! Leave this one to me. I'm a big fan of Tod Cutler and own several of his knives, daggers, and now one of his swords. I use, almost exclusively, his knives for rangering. They are tough and i've batoned with them. Whenever I go out, I usually either select that very seax, or the Bauernwehr with byknives. Of the two you are showing I would select the seax. The blade is a little wider with a full flat grind. Very utilitarian and it can get very sharp. I also like the suspension system better since I trust my leather straps over the leather thongs, but I have had no problems with my Bauernwehr, which is suspended with leather thongs. My bollock dagger is also single edged, but like an m7 bayonet, it is a thick but narrow blade so the edge cannot get as sharp as my seax. It might be similar with your dagger. I'm trying out a more dark aged kit, so everyone may see more of my seax. I named mine Antler, since the first time I took it out, I used it to hack off the antlers of a deer skull in one whack. I'm not sure if that s normal, but it impressed me so I found it a fitting name. Couldnt find the word Antler in Sindarin though.
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Nice! Thank you for your experience with his stuff. I just recently received both of these, and while the edge bevel on the dagger is a little steeper than I usually put on my working knives, it was very easy to get it shaving sharp and it takes curls from wood very well! The seax I got came unsharpened, so I will have to put a full edge on it myself, but once I do I intend to test both of them more extensively side by side.

I will say this particular dagger is a new favorite of mine, and is a better size by modern bushcrafting standards to do the kinds of things modern bushcrafters do in the woods (aka small tasks, wood carving/curls, food/small game processing, etc). The seax does still feel good in the hand though, and would be an excellent candidate for a big camp/fighting knife while the smaller dagger would be reserved for smaller tasks and last ditch self defense.

I haven't decided for sure, but I'm toying with the idea of carrying the seax on my sword belt while tucking the dagger into my high boot and securing in place with the leather laces through slits or holes I punch in the top of my boot. I'll have to try this configuration out while in full gear to see how I like it.

Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

That's kind of like what I do. Antler is my big knife that I carry on the back of my belt but I also carry a small, 4 inch knife as my eating/utility knife. Depending on the outing, I may or may not carry a sword, but these are my constant companions.
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’