Minyacálë - Numenorean Eket (Process Thread)

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cevelentir

Minyacálë - Numenorean Eket (Process Thread)

Post by Cevelentir »

This thread is meant to track progress on my Numenorean eket project being undertaken by David DeLaGardelle of Cedarlore Forge. I have been bugging him for what seems like forever after lurking here and seeing much of his work (back when he was Mad Dwarf). He recently opened up commissions once again and I was lucky enough to be one of the first to get on his books.

I knew I wanted a piece by David, but I really didn’t know what until I saw this post on his social media.

These are his original take on an eket — probably more accurate in size and form factor of the ekets mentioned in the lore. These are more like long daggers - probably akin to barrow blades in terms of size.

This was the first point of contention for me. Personally, I wanted something between the size of a long spatha and a true longsword (closer to the former, I think). I understand why a typical eket would have been so small, but, in my head, this wasn’t just for a footman.

We are going with bronze furniture and either an anodized bronze, dyed wood, or glass/gemstone inlay for the blue portions. After many discussions about nuances of design, these were sent to me last night.

These designs all have merit, but I think the three on the left are personal favorites. Namely center and center-left. I personally feel that these scream Numenorean to me (and should have been the design basis for all Numenorean swords in Rings of Power, but I digress).

What do you guys think? This is clearly a slight divergence from what I imagine the intent was for these weapons. In my head, this would be wielded by a noble turned explorer, perhaps one of Aldarion’s men. To hone in on that adventurous spirit, I am calling this project Minyacálë — First Light.
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Minyacálë - Numenorean Eket (Process Thread)

Post by Yavion »

As I mentioned on the Discord, I agree that (from left to right) 2 and 3 are my favorite. 2, because I like the symmetry of the guard and pommel and I'm super partial to ring pommels that appear on some spatha. 3, because it still has the "I'm a fish tail" look but very nontraditional.

And I know we chatted about it before, but I still think of an eket as a backup weapon, so it didn't need to be spatha length.

I'm really looking forward to this build. I'll admit that I'm a little jealous as well. David DeLaGardelle's work has always been on my list but I gave up long ago when I read that he retired from sword making. Same with Mark from Olin. Amazing artist, but decided to get out of the sword game.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Those are EXTRAORDINARY!!! What beautiful work!

In the first image I love the adaptation of the Numenorian flower-wheel in the second, and especially the use of the same motif in the "arc" of the hilt in the third.
(It's faint in the picture, but that's the very best place for the motif I think)

Of the second set.... nice! Might I make a small suggestion? I think both the lines and the historicity will be improved by moving the palm swell from between the first and second fingers to between the second and third, and possibly add a roman pugio-like swell or knob there. Something like this -
numenorian-eket-tweaks.jpg
numenorian-eket-tweaks.jpg (182.75 KiB) Viewed 23246 times
(I also added the file-work suggesting feathers back to the hilt, and rounded the tip to better match the curves of the hilt)

I hope you don't mind my playing with your design some - whatever you guys do is going to be amazing!

.... and now I can't help but wonder what simple, crude file-work approximating that on a later Ranger's sword might look like. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cevelentir

Post by Cevelentir »

Elleth wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:39 pm Those are EXTRAORDINARY!!! What beautiful work!

In the first image I love the adaptation of the Numenorian flower-wheel in the second, and especially the use of the same motif in the "arc" of the hilt in the third.
(It's faint in the picture, but that's the very best place for the motif I think)

Of the second set.... nice! Might I make a small suggestion? I think both the lines and the historicity will be improved by moving the palm swell from between the first and second fingers to between the second and third, and possibly add a roman pugio-like swell or knob there. Something like this -

numenorian-eket-tweaks.jpg
(I also added the file-work suggesting feathers back to the hilt, and rounded the tip to better match the curves of the hilt)

I hope you don't mind my playing with your design some - whatever you guys do is going to be amazing!

.... and now I can't help but wonder what simple, crude file-work approximating that on a later Ranger's sword might look like. :mrgreen:
I love the idea of the knob, I’ll see about implementing something like that.

I think I’ve decided that of the selection, center is my favorite. It’s still clearly informed by the sea but it doesn’t read so “Atlantis” as having a complete fish-tail as your handle.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Its beautiful. It reminds me of if a pugio and qama got freaky. Would the pointy tips of the pommel be a little pokey to the wrist?
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

Cedarlore makes some incredible stuff. Congratulations on getting a commission.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Firstly let me welcome you to the boards Cevelentir! May your stay be long and productive.

Secondly, the designs look beautiful as Davids stuff always does (even nicer once Elleth overlaid the Numenorean motifs)

Thirdly, as someone who has commissioned a few high value pieces in my time I couldn't help but notice when you said this
This was the first point of contention for me. Personally, I wanted something between the size of a long spatha and a true longsword
And I have a few bits of advice (I am of course working on the assumption you haven't comissioned such a work before)

Unless you are very fortunate then you are likely to only ever manage a single or small number of these projects, so unless you are totally on board with this particular type of weapon and have changed your mind then I'd suggest being true to your original vision and steering the weapon back to a sword. There's many ways you can do this, asking David what he thinks a matching sword to this dagger would have looked like may be one. Of course if you have wholly embraced Davids vision of the project then please disregard this.

Another thing which I want to recommend is not assuming that because David is a master of his craft he can mind read. Check things like the dimensions and the length of the grip so it actually fits your hand, check materials being used, ask for photos of the bronze to see if it's a red or gold tone, anything you aren't 100% sure of ASK. A lot of the build will be trusting him to do his thing but on projects of this size you have the right to check such things without being a nuisance.

Above all enjoy! Like I said above, these projects are rare and often go over a few years and can actually leave you feeling a little bit empty once they are over. Enjoy every minute of it and please continue to share with us.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

I can't wait to see this.
Frodo lives!
Cevelentir

Post by Cevelentir »

Thank you all for the kind words and the well wishing. I wanted to address some concerns in this post specifically.
Eofor wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:30 am Firstly let me welcome you to the boards Cevelentir! May your stay be long and productive.

Secondly, the designs look beautiful as Davids stuff always does (even nicer once Elleth overlaid the Numenorean motifs)

Thirdly, as someone who has commissioned a few high value pieces in my time I couldn't help but notice when you said this
This was the first point of contention for me. Personally, I wanted something between the size of a long spatha and a true longsword
And I have a few bits of advice (I am of course working on the assumption you haven't comissioned such a work before)

Unless you are very fortunate then you are likely to only ever manage a single or small number of these projects, so unless you are totally on board with this particular type of weapon and have changed your mind then I'd suggest being true to your original vision and steering the weapon back to a sword. There's many ways you can do this, asking David what he thinks a matching sword to this dagger would have looked like may be one. Of course if you have wholly embraced Davids vision of the project then please disregard this.

Another thing which I want to recommend is not assuming that because David is a master of his craft he can mind read. Check things like the dimensions and the length of the grip so it actually fits your hand, check materials being used, ask for photos of the bronze to see if it's a red or gold tone, anything you aren't 100% sure of ASK. A lot of the build will be trusting him to do his thing but on projects of this size you have the right to check such things without being a nuisance.

Above all enjoy! Like I said above, these projects are rare and often go over a few years and can actually leave you feeling a little bit empty once they are over. Enjoy every minute of it and please continue to share with us.
First and foremost, I am definitely not wealthy by any means. This is a once in a lifetime project for me, and I will be saving over several months to make it happen.

Originally I did want a longsword, but I think given the dimensions of the piece and the lack of a hand guard, a spatha size would be good (probably like 30-32 inches overall length?) Dave originally wanted to do it at dagger scale a la Barrow Blade, but I told him I want something bigger. I think this is the sweet spot for me personally, both in price and in size.

He’s also been very forthcoming about design specifics, and tonality of bronze has been a discussion we’ve had. I assume nothing, but I think all of my concerns are being actively addressed.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Exciting project!

For what it's worth, Tolkien tells us what the length of an Eket should be:
"28 : This was of a kind called eket: a short stabbing sword with a broad blade, pointed and two-edged, from a foot to one and a half feet long." -Unfinished Tales: The Disaster of the Gladden Fields
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Greg wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:17 pm Exciting project!

"28 : This was of a kind called eket: a short stabbing sword with a broad blade, pointed and two-edged, from a foot to one and a half feet long." -Unfinished Tales: The Disaster of the Gladden Fields
I'm reading that as the blade is 12 to 18 inches long
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:37 am
Greg wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:17 pm Exciting project!

I'm reading that as the blade is 12 to 18 inches long
Yeah, I always saw the ol' Windlass coustille as a solid eket candidate in both its original and revamped forms.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

^ Ditto.

I like the coustille.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I couldn't remember which one that was.... Now I've had a look I think it would make a great companion for a Type XIV
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

I love the direction this project is taking aesthetically!

Btw I definitely envision the eket to be a blade not dissimilar to a Swiss degen, kind of long for a knife but kind of short for a sword.

I actually own a coustille from their production run with Kult of Athena, and can definitely vouch for both its merits as an eket-sized blade and also as a good companion for both the Windlass and Kingston Arms Type XIVs!
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.