Hi everybody!

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Wild Vins
Wayfarer

Hi everybody!

Post by Wild Vins »

I'm Wild Vins, 32 yo and I live in France (so, sorry if my English speaking is bad... )

I like medieval and Tolkien universes, I love archery, building my bows ANS arrows, my clothes and my accessories and cie...

I found your forum when I researched for quiver pictures on the web and I love your concept : go in the wood with all the stuff you built and have great adventures and funny moments.

So I decided to make my own ranger's kit and start my adventure.

I already built viking clothes few years ago for medieval events so I already had a good base for Tolkien's world (and less work for me!)

See you soon for some pictures and explain of my kit.

Wild Vins
Attachments
Screenshot_20240106_214358_com.android.gallery3d_edit_191620750662944.jpg
Screenshot_20240106_214358_com.android.gallery3d_edit_191620750662944.jpg (196.68 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
Last edited by Wild Vins on Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Vins, Lonely Ranger from Middle-France
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Hi everybody!

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice picture of your kit, and Welcome to the Forum!
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Yavion »

Bon jour and mea govannen!
That's a great kit! Welcome to the forum.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

It sounds like you have finally made it to a place you were always meant to be.

Welcome Vins.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Hello and welcome!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Welcome! You've done some really impressive work!

I seem to recall once upon a time there was a very impressive group doing Elvish impressions in France - any chance they're still going, and if so are you involved with them?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Mae govannen, Ranger! Great kit!
Frodo lives!
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Welcome, Ranger!
Wild Vins
Wayfarer

Post by Wild Vins »

Hannon le for your welcome and thanks for your comments on my kit, I will take pictures as soon as possible for showing you all the stuff.

Elleth : I don't know for this group, I'm sorry, I can't help you

Eofor : I think you're right!
Now, the most difficult for me will be to wear medieval clothes and cross some "normal" people on my road, I'm scared by that because I'm "shy" :mrgreen:
Does everybody assume their style or some people are in my case? :?:
Wild Vins, Lonely Ranger from Middle-France
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Wild Vins wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:09 pm
Now, the most difficult for me will be to wear medieval clothes and cross some "normal" people on my road, I'm scared by that because I'm "shy" :mrgreen:
Vins, Greetings and Well Met.

I too have a shyness issue (I'm probably on the Autistic spectrum, not diagnosed though). I re-enact as a Napoleonic Redcoat and do a form of Morris dancing, but I can only do what I do by reminded myself (often) that other people only see 'The Soldier' or 'The Dancer' and that I can hide away behind that Persona and nobody will notice the real me.
Last year my Mum watched amazed as I talked to a crowd of 50+ people about muskets and what it would of been like in the 'Rank & File' of Wellington's army for over half an hour..... I normally have problems speaking to more then two people unless I already know them.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Welcome!
It’s funny - your background, and how you ended up here, seems very close to my own story, just a few years behind! I hope you enjoy it here, and find the forums both helpful and welcoming!
And in terms of incorporating this into your everyday life, my best suggestion would be to try and find others nearby who share your interest, and participate with them as much as possible! It always seems easiest for me when it’s a group effort instead of just me, as an individual, dressing up and going on hikes. :lol:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Welcome! You're definitely in the right place. Hope you have a long and fruitful stay.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Awesome looking kit, and welcome :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Wild Vins wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:09 pm Now, the most difficult for me will be to wear medieval clothes and cross some "normal" people on my road, I'm scared by that because I'm "shy" :mrgreen:
I've been out on the trail in both historical and fantasy clothing for years now and have never experienced a negative interaction. The important thing is to be confident and remember that you have as much right to be out there as anyone else.

Naturally I prefer to be off the beaten path but if people are around then I engage everyone I walk past by making eye contact, giving a hearty hello and continuing on. If they want to ask questions (and you soon start to figure out which ones do) then I will stop and explain what I'm about but again, I've never had a single person say anything other than what I'm doing is fantastic.
I also carry a supply of cards with the name of my living history group and a QR code to the site or if I am in Middle Earth gear then a card which links to the forums here.

One thing I always impress upon people is not to stalk or skulk through the woods or try and stay hidden just off the path, that's the sort of thing which will create problems especially if you are carrying any sort of archery equipment or sword/spear. Far better to just walk openly and greet everyone.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
mg2Arnor
Wanderer

Post by mg2Arnor »

Welcome to the forum! You clearly have a love for the hobby! May it be fostered and grow in strength among this lovely community.
Calenthir - Dunedain Ranger of the late 3rd Age