Elven Ranger Clothing Concept

From Lorien to the Undying Lands...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Elven Ranger Clothing Concept

Post by Yavion »

Over in General Discussion, Iodo mentioned in Elladan and Elrohir: Rangers? that "Some art would be cool to see" regarding my elven ranger impression. So, I finally took the time to bother the spouse into doing something up for me. Keep in mind, this is them basing the art on what I described and what I was able to find to give examples. The images are also purposely "sketchy" as I really like that style and asked for it.
For influence, I went for a combination of Norse, Caucuses, and more northeastern European take. My thought being that the elves in their migration west would have an effect on their dress.

I welcome feedback, just be gentle as this is my first time sharing this idea outside the home :mrgreen:

The underlayer. I feel like it's a given, but I figured if we're going all out, may as well do every layer.

Undershirt and socks. I wanted the slight stand-up collar to save the over-layer from coming in direct contact with my skin, saving the over-layer from needing as frequent washing.

Trousers and boots. Going off of the idea that Aragorn wore high, black boots, I went with a pattern based off of eastern European riding boots. Something you see depicted in Polish and Ukrainian art, but also reminiscent of boots from the Novgorod find. Looser trousers are found in several cultures, and I like how they feel when trekking long distance.

Over tunic and belt. This is a combination of a Georgian Chokha, a Mongolian Deel, and a Norse kaftan. The part you can't see under the right arm is that it is tied along the side to keep it in place. The belt is a bit of a placeholder. I know I want a two layer belt, but am unsure of how I want to proceed with it. Too many options!

Coat and hood. The next two go together. The coat is also based on a Norse kaftan, but one that could be belted or tied closed if the weather is cold. The cap at the shoulder is there to cover the lacing that keeps the sleeves on. I liked the idea of the removable sleeve (like on Aragorn's movie coat), but felt that if this is to keep weather out, then it would be best to cover the seam. The hood is a simple square construction based off of a Norse find.
Last edited by Yavion on Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harper
Haeropada

Re: Elven Ranger Clothing Concept

Post by Harper »

Looser trouser would be problematic in a woodland.

Subject to catching, ripping, etc.

I think something closer fitting made of leather over fine woolen hose would be my choice.

Leather also works better for riding on horses.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Possibly a leather jerkin for the same reason.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Taken under advisement!
I don't actually specify materials as I'm undecided. The part of the world I currently reside in has some sweltering summers so looser trousers are usually a safer bet.
I used to trek around the Pacific NW in the USA, and loose trousers were never an issue, but you make a salient point.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I think the tunic needs to be longer, like long enough to go un-trousered (or "pantsless" if you want it in American ) in summer. But I like the neckline a lot.

I would also go with a closer fitting trouser, you want to look tall and graceful..... And big baggy pants over a slim calf say Rohan to my former Viking re-enactor head.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:09 pm I think the tunic needs to be longer, like long enough to go un-trousered (or "pantsless" if you want it in American ) in summer. But I like the neckline a lot.

I would also go with a closer fitting trouser, you want to look tall and graceful..... And big baggy pants over a slim calf say Rohan to my former Viking re-enactor head.
Makes sense. Though I'll never look tall and graceful. I'm 177cm (5'10") and have a 127cm (50") chest. I'm a brick. lol
mg2Arnor
Wanderer

Post by mg2Arnor »

I think you made some really cool choices here! I especially love that the tunic crosses over from left to right. It reminds me of many tunics, but especially of the Mongolian Deel. I've actually thought the Deel looks pretty Elvish myself, but either way I really like your concept and drawings! Keep up the good work!
Calenthir - Dunedain Ranger of the late 3rd Age
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thanks for posting this, awesome :P and it's cool to see a more practical looking version of elven clothing
Yavion wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:32 am I used to trek around the Pacific NW in the USA, and loose trousers were never an issue, but you make a salient point.
it depends, the ones in your drawing look like they'd be fine, mainly because long boots keeps the ankle bit from getting snagged, some loose pants you see in LARP shops go so wildly over the top that they are a nightmare tho
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Yavion wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:11 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:09 pm I think the tunic needs to be longer, like long enough to go un-trousered (or "pantsless" if you want it in American ) in summer. But I like the neckline a lot.

Makes sense. Though I'll never look tall and graceful. I'm 177cm (5'10") and have a 127cm (50") chest. I'm a brick. lol
I feel for you, I too am 5'10" and wear 52" jackets also my shirt collars have to be 18", which means the sleeves are nearly 6 inches too long as they seem to think that only seven foot tall blokes have that big a neck.

Why do you think I identify as Khazad ?

Mind you, Iodo mentioned a cosplay trick to make yourself look wider. I wonder if theres something like to make you look taller... Or at least narrower
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:41 pm Mind you, Iodo mentioned a cosplay trick to make yourself look wider. I wonder if theres something like to make you look taller... Or at least narrower

Put simply, yes there is:

keep belt's and horizontal fabric trim thin, make sure you have a large plain-ish fabric section between your belt and neck line, and try to have some vertical lines in your garb (a different panel of fabric down the front or visible vertical seams), there are limit's to this but it does help, this is basically the principle of wearing long top with vertical stripes to make yourself appear slimmer translated into ranger garb
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Iodo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:02 pm Thanks for posting this, awesome :P and it's cool to see a more practical looking version of elven clothing
Yavion wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:32 am I used to trek around the Pacific NW in the USA, and loose trousers were never an issue, but you make a salient point.
it depends, the ones in your drawing look like they'd be fine, mainly because long boots keeps the ankle bit from getting snagged, some loose pants you see in LARP shops go so wildly over the top that they are a nightmare tho
You are very welcome! And thanks to you too.
On the practical side, yeah. I love the LotR movies, but Dickson's elves all looked like they were wearing Hanfu to me. Yes, they are pretty enough to be Hanfu drama protagonists, but that's not a look I could ever pull off after I got shoulders in my mid 20s. :mrgreen:
And I totally agree regarding the LARP shop pants. Some of those, and some of the historical "Viking" interpretations, are blousey to an absurd extreme. When I say "loose" I mean not as fitted as hosen or some Torsburga interpretations.
ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:41 pm I feel for you, I too am 5'10" and wear 52" jackets also my shirt collars have to be 18", which means the sleeves are nearly 6 inches too long as they seem to think that only seven foot tall blokes have that big a neck.

Why do you think I identify as Khazad ?

Mind you, Iodo mentioned a cosplay trick to make yourself look wider. I wonder if there's something like to make you look taller... Or at least narrower
Yup! Brick life represent! :mrgreen: Dwarves are awesome, but I never felt an affinity for them. I've been obsessed with elves since I was small, so I'm taking the rout of "Elves are just humans that are graceful and fancy". I am hoping that my grace on my feet can make up for my lack of lithe build.

And I think I may have unintentionally followed the instructions on how to look taller. Though, the last time I wore vertical stripes, they only made me look wider? lol
mg2Arnor wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:43 am I think you made some really cool choices here! I especially love that the tunic crosses over from left to right. It reminds me of many tunics, but especially of the Mongolian Deel. I've actually thought the Deel looks pretty Elvish myself, but either way I really like your concept and drawings! Keep up the good work!
Thanks! Yeah, trying to grab what would be reasonable from a more eastern Middle Earth without going too east or southeast Asian with the influence. If you're not careful, it winds up looking either like an anime character or someone from a historical drama. Cool and all, but not Middle Earth-y enough.
And gotta be left over right. We're not dressing the dead here ;)
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I do like the collar of the shirt and the robe, though the crossed over overtunic/waistcoat does read a bit too eastern to my eye also. Though I love the sash and neckline. Hrm.. not sure, there.
What materials are you thinking? I do love raw silk generally, especially for warmer weather. And I think it's defensible for elves... though one might get a bit too close to "Jedi" there if one isn't careful.

For something totally out of left field, here's a drawing of Beleg from the Professor's own hand, courtesy of stack exchange of all places -
beleg.jpg
beleg.jpg (65.75 KiB) Viewed 926 times
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questio ... lkien-draw

That's way back in the First Age, but he is Sindar.

Interesting touches are the knee length breeches (remember that conversation?), pointed shoes (very much a thing in pre-WWII pictures of elves and fairies), and the long, thin, straight sword.
What really catches my eye though is that short black jacket... I wonder if it's meant to be sort of a proto-doublet?

I do quite like most of the WETA elven costuming, but with so much of modern Tolkien representation going down the generic D&D fantasy route, I'd love to see a fresh take from the original wellspring. It would be tricky, it's a look I think too easily made trite. But then again, some of his Numenorean sketches looked out of place until we actually started rendering them in real materials. Maybe it could be done.

Anyhow, perhaps there's some elements there worth stealing.

Your project looks awesome and I can't wait to see what you do with it!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Elleth wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:28 pm I do like the collar of the shirt and the robe, though the crossed over overtunic/waistcoat does read a bit too eastern to my eye also. Though I love the sash and neckline. Hrm.. not sure, there.
What materials are you thinking? I do love raw silk generally, especially for warmer weather. And I think it's defensible for elves... though one might get a bit too close to "Jedi" there if one isn't careful.

For something totally out of left field, here's a drawing of Beleg from the Professor's own hand, courtesy of stack exchange of all places -
beleg.jpg
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questio ... lkien-draw

That's way back in the First Age, but he is Sindar.

Interesting touches are the knee length breeches (remember that conversation?), pointed shoes (very much a thing in pre-WWII pictures of elves and fairies), and the long, thin, straight sword.
What really catches my eye though is that short black jacket... I wonder if it's meant to be sort of a proto-doublet?

I do quite like most of the WETA elven costuming, but with so much of modern Tolkien representation going down the generic D&D fantasy route, I'd love to see a fresh take from the original wellspring. It would be tricky, it's a look I think too easily made trite. But then again, some of his Numenorean sketches looked out of place until we actually started rendering them in real materials. Maybe it could be done.

Anyhow, perhaps there's some elements there worth stealing.

Your project looks awesome and I can't wait to see what you do with it!
I appreciate the feedback!
The overtunic is actually based on a cross between a Mongolian deel and a Georgian chokha. So the crossover of the deel but with the slightly scooped neckline of the chokha. The idea being that the elves, when they origially came to Middle Earth, travelled all the way to the eastern shores and then migrated back west. I wanted to give it some slightly eastern flavor. Like a call back to living in those regions, but without making it distinctly Asian.
One of the issues I always had with the Peter Jackson elves (mainly the elves of Rivendell and Celeborn) is that their garb looks way, waaay too close to Hanfu for me. So trying to take a more eastern approach without taking influence from anything too obvious as east Asian or southeast Asian was important. Like, I LOVE Japanese clothing but it always kinda icked me out that Japanese, Chinese, and Korean clothing would become shorthand for "Exotic other" and used for elven clothing. But no need to get into that rant, lol :D
As to the art reference, that was a consideration. Not to open that can of worms again, but since the art is so itty-bitty, I wasn't really concerned about getting it too close, but I did use it as a reference. Just not holding to the pointed shoes. :D

As to materials, I was thinking fine linen, possibly silks if I can find the right weave and weight. Also thinking rayon. In another thread we talked about the idea that Galadriel wove the rope gifted to Sam from tree fibers. Tencel is a specific type of rayon made from tree fiber, so I may just go with that for a few things to be fancy.