Pictures of your ranger kit

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

theowl
Vendor

Re: Pictures of your ranger kit

Post by theowl »

I like it. Though now I'm curious about accurate middle earth underwear..
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by deadextra »

I bought the buckle at Pennsic, I just checked the guide book and it looks like the shop's called thorthor's hammer, here's the website: http://thorthorshammer.com/index.htm

I would have linked it earlier when I was talking about belts somewhere but I hadn't thought of checking my book. That place is about as good as Raymond's quiet press and costs maybe half as much. The belt is 3/4" wide.

@theowl, I'd go ahead and check out Braes, I find them to be quite comfortable. They're pretty much long linen boxers with a drawstring and slits up the inside of the leg so you can roll them up and tie them to the points you would attach your hosen.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Good looking Kit.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Great stuff, Deadextra. I wish I had half the skills you have!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

Hey, thanks guys. Oh there's little skill necessary for this sort of stuff, that's just dedication and patience. Fighting and wilderness survival are more the skill oriented things I do.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Looks great, Ben!

Now, is this strictly for your SCA persona, or does this fit into the Dale interpretation you were talking about putting together?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

Yeah, see the little annotation I made at the end of my first post. This is indeed what I was talking about for Dale, really most of it is generic for early medieval Europe. I don't see any reason why any of this isn't applicable to Dale except for the reliquary pouch because of the christian cross and maybe my use of silk. Once I get all of my basics down, I'm sure I'll start making or acquiring items which are more specific to middle earth like a black arrow badge for my gambeson that I can add and remove when I go in between SCA and ranger events, maybe something of dwarf make like a buckle or some tooling on leather.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Very cool! And as for the reliquary pouch, I'd say it's Middle-Earth feasible. For one, the cross could theoretically be interpreted as an extremely simplified four-pointed star, and as for the silk, Bilbo was explicitly stated to be wearing a silk embroidered waistcoat at the beginning of Fellowship, so silk was obviously known and used in Middle Earth. If Bilbo owned silk clothing, there's no reason in my mind that some of the material wouldn't have made its way to Dale - being a well-traveled, cosmopolitan city in general.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Excellent! Sorry I missed that. It all looks great. How much work do you think you need to do before you feel comfortable in this weather? I wear wool, but when safety is concerned, that's where I stop being a stickler and let the thermal underwear come out. Jake's moving in a week or so, I believe, and I'd love to get the three of us out in the woods for an afternoon.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

Oh, to be out in this weather I'd want my new boots, second tunic, wool cloak, wool hat, and maybe wool leg wraps. At that point I'd test it because I'm not so familiar with the insulative properties of linen, and depending on that I may also need a wool tunic. So quite a bit of sewing to do before that, I'd better get to working on that second tunic today.

Of course most of the wool I wouldn't have to bother with in Italy, the annual low temperature there is like 48.
deadextra

Post by deadextra »

Shameless double post, I may as well give you guys a decent picture of me standing up after giving a peek on the Walk thread.

I finished my second shirt, the trunk and arms are unfortunately bigger around than was was intended to be the outer layer of my outfit so they have had to swap places. I also did much finer stitching on this shirt. So far as I know there isn't any references to gores of different color to the rest of the shirt as early as my year, but I ran out out undyed and it worked. I'll probably use it for a fighting tunic, under my armor.

New ankle boots and a ww2 army blanket which needs to be hemmed wrap up my additions to share for now.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Looking good! I like the different colors. ;)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I'm resurrecting this thread! I kinda' feel like it should be sticky. Anyone?

At any rate, I wanted to share some of the newest pics of me in my gear, although they're not amazing, and it's far from what I'd consider complete. So first off, here's a shot of my kit as of Halloween 2011 (the pictures should be clickable for higer-res versions:

The above shot shows how everything looked at that point in comparison to the basic sketch I did of what I wanted it all to look like initially. It has definitely evolved from there.
Below is the most recent picture of me taken last weekend at Starfest - a big sci-fi/media convention here in Denver. Truly, I had a miserable weekend in which pretty much nothing whatsoever went right, but I got the chance to wear the outfit finally, and this is the result. Still very much a work in progress though.

Here's another from the same day with some goofy friends:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... day-27.jpg

The lighting is terrible, and I feel like I look a bit like a doofus in those. Maybe it's because the flash totally washed me out, and maybe it's because I look better with a fuller beard. Or maybe it's because I'm horribly sleep deprived and having a miserable time, heh. Who can tell. Anyhow, here it is!
In this shot you can see me sporting my new coin purse, new belt pouch (to the far side), and my new thin belt. I'm also wearing the archery bracer I posted about a while back, and the brand new back quiver that wasn't even done at the time, technically (though obviously it was wearable). So there you go!

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, the photobucket album where I've got all my ranger progress pics is open to all, and you can peruse it right here:
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... 20Costume/

Finally, here is a link to my DeviantArt gallery, where I have several pics taken of me over the winter in full garb (though not quite as up-to-date). Not sure if I've shown it here yet or not:
http://manveruon.deviantart.com/gallery/
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Very nice kit Manveruon! :) I can totally see how it has evolved and how much effort you put into making it! The effort has shown!
PS- Is your first picture on your last post your profile picture? :?:
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I love the look! It is so important to have some sort of idea of what you are trying to do, and the translation from sketch to reality is spot on, imo. Great job, shows the importance of layering as well.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"