Hammocks?

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Hammocks?

Post by Chris Russo »

Hammocks offer a few advantages over sleeping on the ground. For one thing, you don't have to worry about the ground sapping the heat out of you. (Still got to wrap up against the air, though.) For another, you don't have to worry about stony ground, muddy ground... it leaves less marks on the ground for the orc trackers to find. You can sling a tarp over a hammock (using another line between the same trees). The disadvantages, of course, are that it requires some decent ropework to operate right, and that you need two trees just the right distance apart--no luck in the Barrow-Downs, or up in the Misty Mountains.

What I'm toying with is some kind of combination between Pete Remling's canvas-mattress-bag-for-stuffing-with-leaves and a hammock, that could function as either. I'm wondering what the design would be like.

Either that, or a netting hammock that can double as netting for a fishing weir.

Anyone else played around with a period hammock? Anyone have any designs that have worked?
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Hammocks?

Post by Greg »

I don't have any experience with period hammocks, but I do know that whenever I sleep in one for any real length of time, I come out with a crick in my back. I'd actually been thinking about hammocks again recently, but the inability to stand up straight right off the bat makes me think it'd probably be better to avoid them at all costs, for my own purposes, anyway. It might just be that I sleep in them funny; don't let me discourage you.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Sam
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Sam »

My only concern would be that the tarp, with ropes and hammock, would end up being a very bulky/heavy combination. Small hammocks won't work well if you're a large person. Netting would reduce the weight considerably, and make it more of an option, but the you can't use it as a ground cloth.

Stealth-wise, a hammock is harder to hide in common camping areas because it is suspended between trees above the ground. Pretty obvious. On the other hand, you can set up in some pretty unusual camp sites, such as over creeks or on rocky ground and hillsides. You don't have the restriction of having to find flat ground.

If it is warm and dry out, a net hammock with a wool blanket would be a great low-bulk and lightweight sleeping system. Netting is relatively easy to repair, and can be used for other things as you say, as can the blanket.

No idea about period hammocks though. What did they use on ships? Netting?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Sam wrote:My only concern would be that the tarp, with ropes and hammock, would end up being a very bulky/heavy combination. Small hammocks won't work well if you're a large person. Netting would reduce the weight considerably, and make it more of an option, but the you can't use it as a ground cloth.

Stealth-wise, a hammock is harder to hide in common camping areas because it is suspended between trees above the ground. Pretty obvious. On the other hand, you can set up in some pretty unusual camp sites, such as over creeks or on rocky ground and hillsides. You don't have the restriction of having to find flat ground.

If it is warm and dry out, a net hammock with a wool blanket would be a great low-bulk and lightweight sleeping system. Netting is relatively easy to repair, and can be used for other things as you say, as can the blanket.

No idea about period hammocks though. What did they use on ships? Netting?
Yes, Hammocks were used extensively on ships. The hammock was canvas (fiqure sailcloth) that was not netting but solid. They were hung one over the other ala bunkbeds to save space. I was toying with changing my tent/tarp around a bit this thread justs makes another adaptation very feasible.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Many years ago I used to have a jungle hammock that was surplus Army issue. It basically was a piece of nylon (canvas could be used) about 2-3 feet wide about 6 and a half feet long with tubes sewn into both ends. The rope was passed thru the tubes and had a loop one one end that the rest of the rope passed through. When it was up, you could either allow the ends to draw closed creating something like a net hammock or a piece of wood could be used to make a hammock like the backyard style (there were ties at both ends of the tube to keep it stretched with the wood). This design would have the added benefit of being used as a ground cloth when not strung and the ropes could be removed and replaced as needed.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.