Kit Layout

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Steve b
Dúnadan

Kit Layout

Post by Steve b »

I've always been a sucker for kit layouts. Tried to post this as an image, but it would not show up so here's the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80724437@N00/4386969835/

This is my kit as it currently exists.
Top row: 1 qt billy; cooking knife and scabbard; 2 wooden spoons; wooden bowl with salt, pepper, and curry horns; folding lantern with candles
middle row: folding compass and sundial; bag with leather repair and sewing kit; tea horn and sugar sack; fishing kit- handline and tin with spare hooks and flies
bottom row: bag of tinder, fatwood and tow; tin of beeswax/sheepfat mix; clay pipe and 'baccy; flint and steel kit; small folding knife

I started carrying it in a haversack converted to a knapsack, a la Mark Baker, but I found that too uncomfortable. Then I switched to a snapsack, that tubular bag popular in the 16th 17th centuries, but I'm not happy with that, either. Now I'm looking at making a pack, maybe with a frame. I have a horsehide in stock, that I think will work well. I just don't want it to look too much like a German WWI tornister.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Kit Layout

Post by Peter Remling »

Good and practical. I like the small pipe nested in the tobacco tin.
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

It's interesting. I've tried to make it different from my 18th c kit, but when you boil it all down, it doesn't matter if you are ranging Mirkwood or trekking the shore of Lake Ontario, the supplies and kit needed are the same. I'm looking to change a few things, an earlier period flint striker, a hard leather case for the repair/sewing kit, and, as I mentioned, a horsehide pack and frame. Somewhere, I saw a sketch of a viking pack and frame that I need to find again. Maybe some decoration on pieces of the kit.
jbook
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by jbook »

Steve b,
What period in the 18th C. do you do? I am an French and Indian War Reenactor. I have a Highland Light Infantry Unit. We go to such historical events as Fort Niagra, Ticonderoga etc...
I also do some Rev war events such as Locust Grove and a few 1812.

Would love to see some of your 18th C. Pics
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

good looking gear.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Great pic of practical and, most importantly, used gear!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"