Ever made a tillering stick?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Ever made a tillering stick?

Post by Eric C »

So, I'm looking at a Rudderbow stave that a guy over at SFI sold me. Today I roughed in the handle and it will be pretty comfortable once I sand it down some, I think. But now is the time to tiller the bow. I have looked around for a tillering stick, but quite frankly, I've spent a good deal of money lately on things not directly related to buying a home of our own. So, that leads me to my only other option: make a tillering stick. I think I know how I will do it, but I thought I'd open this up to you.
Do you have any suggestions for a good tillering stick? Is Hickory the best wood choice, or should I use something else? What about length and thickness of the stick? How far apart should I cut the slots that the string fits into? I was thinking about an inch apart. Any ideas/suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Someone might say, "Oh, wait, here's an idea: BUY ONE and save yourself the headache!" To that, I have no reply. It would be the best route, probably.