Bows and Brewing!

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Bows and Brewing!

Post by Cinead »

Mae Govannen!

As a lover of archey and beer......and a do-it-yourselfer.....

I thought I would share what I am about recently!

I am just putting the touches on my spine tester for arrows.....

AND

This morning I am bottling a batch of HEAVENLY drawvish malt beer!

Actually it is a dark, malty, smoky, chocolately porter.....but oh so good!

This weekend I am getting started on my medieval crossbow and homemade taper grinder! Also....getting ready to handle my pukko for this hunting season!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Bows and Brewing!

Post by Eledhwen »

Sounds good! My partner brews; she does a nut brown ale that is unreal, and mead.

I am working at becoming a fletcher. I've been dying, cresting, and fletching my own for some time..field arrows. Shortly I'm going to be working up a bunch of war shafts from 11/32 ash...some with bodkins, some with broadheads, all with self-nocks. I have some horn I cut into slivers for the purpose. The 5/16 cedar shafts have been good for practice.

I haven't made any shafts from scratch yet. I'd need a spine tester for that and I don't have one as of yet.

I'm also fixing to work on making my first bow. I expect it'll be something of a disaster but full of instruction.

Sounds like you're having a fine old time! Might I ask how you made your spine tester and how you're going to make your taper grinder?

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Sounds like fun, Eledhwen! I did that about 5 years ago just to see if I could do it. I used a piece of Carolina pine to see how I would do, and three broken bows later, I actually made a bow! It shot like crap but it flexed and bent and, most importantly, didn't break! So, good luck and please let us know how it goes!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Sounds great I want to start arrows this summer. I have thought about a bow but don't want to add anything more then needed at the moment. 3 rivers archery has some bow staves currently on sale for 99 that all you have to do is finish but the might help make a good stencil...

http://www.3riversarchery.com/ListThumb.asp
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"