Bare Blades by Albion

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

mcapanelli
Haeropada

Bare Blades by Albion

Post by mcapanelli »

Yep, you read it right. Albion is now offering bare blades either as milled blanks or post heat treated ones. From the Albion site.............
Bare Blades
Due to the popularity of our Moat rusty blades, we have decided to offer bare blade blanks when we have free milling time to make them. These are offered in limited quantities, as they are available. Bare blades are offered as they come off the mill. Heat treating is offered at an additional fee.
And here's the link................http://www.albion-swords.com/bareblades.htm

Now who can cast or forge me an S guard and a type T pommel and mount it?
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Bare Blades by Albion

Post by Peter Remling »

Mike, I picked up 6 of the rusty blades. Only 2 were heat treated, I'm useing the non-heat treated in the video as props and keeping one of the treated for myself and giving the other to my brother. I also picked up 2 pommels and 4 guards.

Building the sword for me will be a backburner project.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hmm, I think my next blade purchase will probably be from them. I'm happy with my Clontarf. For what I currently know about swords, it seems to be a really solid blade.

The knives? I'll experiment until I can make my own. That's just me, I do things the hard way. :oops:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Brendan Olszowy
Wayfarer

Post by Brendan Olszowy »

Hey guys
Just a heads up these blades are a real hotch potch. Some are DelTin Blades in Fact. Some are only Mild steel and can not be heat treated - in the first batch they didn't alert people, but they are noted if mild now - by labelling them 1018 - the steel type - very low carbon and not heat treatable.

Just please be aware these "blades" are not typical of a quality albion blade, and many are not "blades" at all. They are in the bin for a reason. There ARE a few real gems in the rough among them if you're a gambling type, but there are also some very dangerous pieces which ought not to be used as swords, and I'd hate to see anyone get hurt.
If in doubt please consult your friendly neighborhood swordmaker.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Brenno, Thanks for the heads up. The ones I'm useing for props arn't going to be swung. Just as a pile of old weapons in a cache.

For the actual swords the characters will use I have several Atrims, a Darksword Armoury, a few Windlass and possibly a Del Tin or 2. All the user swords and scabbards have been customizied so as not to be instantly recognizied as a "stock sword'

Breeno is correct in that if you are looking to build a sword, a better option is to buy one of the bare blades offered by Hanwei that are designed by Tinker. A lot less chance of you wasting money on a lemon or dangerous blade.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

As for the Hanwei swords that Tinker designed, I know that Tinker has been deeply involved in the production of these blades. He has called Hanwei to task on some issues where they didn't meet his expectations. If you've got the money, I don't think you would go wrong with one of these blades. Still, Albion has a few I'm interested in.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Peter Remling wrote:Mike, I picked up 6 of the rusty blades. Only 2 were heat treated, I'm useing the non-heat treated in the video as props and keeping one of the treated for myself and giving the other to my brother. I also picked up 2 pommels and 4 guards.

Building the sword for me will be a backburner project.
These blades are separate from the moat sale Pete. The bare blades in the moat sale are luck of the draw but the ones I'm talking about are new blades hot off the CNC. You'd still have t set your own edge and do all of the finish work.
Winter is coming
Brendan Olszowy
Wayfarer

Post by Brendan Olszowy »

Ah yes, of course. I assumed we were talking about those moat ones. A proper blank blade from Albion would be a good thing. :)