Lost or misinterpret LOTR film scenes

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

What would you like to see re-done for the LOTR films?

Tom Bombadil Added
15%
Radagast Added
8%
Fellowship's Warg Attack (after Caradhras, before Moria)
9%
Quickbeam Added
4%
Refilm Faramir with his pure and gentle nature
12%
Add the Grey Company.
17%
Legolas Recites Seer's Prophecy before the Paths of the Dead
8%
Prince Imrahil rescures Faramir, not the horse dragging him
12%
Scouring of the Shire Added - Saruman doesn't die on the Round Spiked Wheelie Dealie (RSWD)
15%

Total votes: 112

Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Lost or misinterpret LOTR film scenes

Post by Beornmann »

I hae been thinking, (always a dangerous adventure)…
[*]The Hobbit starts filming at the end of the year
[*]How much PJ and crew couldn’t get into the film (yeah, yeah I know, how film differs as a medium and scripting forces many, many, editing liberties, I get it. I love the films and view them regularly. They got more visually right than I had hoped.)
[*]Watching ROTK with my daughter again, and wincing at Saruman ‘s death.
[*]From Melthavron’s article Thanks, Mirimaran for the link., the wanker, zeta06, commenting that the article was poorly researched and suggests that we read the Weapons and Warfare book.
[*]Read a great article about the book-to-film changes.
[*]Lucas can re-edit SW scenes.

Sooooo, .....
Last edited by Beornmann on Mon May 31, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Elegost

Re: Lost or misinterpret LOTR film scenes

Post by Elegost »

I would of liked to of seen Old Tom Bombadillo in the film, but PJ throught it wasn't reliveent to the story of the ring, but he did save them from that tree and the Barrow wights.....

Have you seen the Extended editions of the films because in the extended edition of The Two Towers the Huorns are seen leaving Fangorn and then at Helms deep as the Uruk-Hai run into them.

Here's a link to the you-tube video of the Uruks going into them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsXzEDp7kz8
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Elegost wrote:the Huorns are seen leaving Fangorn and then at Helms deep as the Uruk-Hai run into them.
Now that you mention it, I do remember. I'll remove that option.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

In the extended edition, Sam DOES go back home, and he says the iconic "I'm back."

HOWEVER, the biggest beef I had with all the movies was the lack of the Grey Company. I voted for a few, certainly, but MAN oh MAN, I was mad that I didn't get my Halbarad & Co. fix.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I would like to see all of them, call me crazy but the more LOTR the better.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Greg wrote:In the extended edition, Sam DOES go back home, and he says the iconic "I'm back."

HOWEVER, the biggest beef I had with all the movies was the lack of the Grey Company. I voted for a few, certainly, but MAN oh MAN, I was mad that I didn't get my Halbarad & Co. fix.
I suck at this poll question. Yes, again, I forgot that scene and I DON"t know how I could have over looked the Grey Co. I'll re-post the list, but it resets all the votes.

Hey, it didn't re-set the votes this time. Cool.
Steve M
Wayfarer

Post by Steve M »

Main thing I'd change is not having the Army of the Dead at Minas Tirith, and have the southern army instead. The movies made it look like the Humans couldn't win without help. I'd also consider taking the Elves out Helm's Deep, although I didn't mind that one as much.
~PER ARDUA~
Rhiavas Thavronion
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

Yeah I enjoyed the part of the book where, the differnt southen armys arrived.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Just re-watching the PJ movies and while I would love to have some scenes re-added or reinterpreted, My beef is with the big changes. If I had my druthers I'd remove/change 5 things.

1. Should not have turned Gimli into comic relief. Change It.
2. Why did Faramir drag Frodo to Osgiliath!!?!?? Drop it.
3. Warg attack was kinda cool, but the whole Aragorn over the cliff thing was useless. Drop it.
4. Hobbits tricking the ents was annoying. The ents should have decided to help at the moot. Change it.
5. the Army of the Dead/scrubbing bubbles cleanup of Pelannor Field was annoying. Drop it.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

The warg attack makes more sense if you watch the Extended Edition. I feel that the whole thing was an attempt to kill Aragorn, since we had so much exposition about who he is with Saruman and Grima. I would have rather seen the ghost of Boromir urging Aragorn to get up and move on, but I know that they spent alot of money for Liv Tyler, and had to use her as much as possible.

I agree 100% about Gimli.

IMO, ROTK is a very weak film in the fact that so much was changed from the first two films that trying to tie up the loose ends at the end of the third one makes it a little flat. Plus we should have gotten Sharkey and the Scourging of the Shire. And more Rangers 8)
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

100% right caedmon!
Steve M
Wayfarer

Post by Steve M »

1. I kinda agree with this, although I think the films needed some levity.
2. I think the big problem here stems from doing the films in chronological time; Frodo and Sam don't meet Faramir until around or after the battle at Helm's Deep, and there wasn't a climax scene there so they had to add something to stretch it out and make it more interesting.
3. I think dropping him off a cliff was to give people unfamiliar with the books an "oh no!" moment, and then to have him witness the Isengard army to dial up the tension at Helm's Deep.
4. I could go either way on this one, however I think if they just said yes it would have been too easy.
5. Agree, see my post above.
~PER ARDUA~
Rhiavas Thavronion