pierced spike tomahawk WIP

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

pierced spike tomahawk WIP

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

This is a project I started this morning from a RR spike on a charcoal fire, I'm hoping the head will carborize some, this 'hawk has a 3 1/2" cutting edge, a small weeping heart pierced about 3/4" from the cutting edge. I still have to draw out the poll a bit, punch the eye, get some file work done and get it fitted to a curly maple handle.

The pic below is where I'm at so far.
Attachments
Magua.jpg
Magua.jpg (63.59 KiB) Viewed 12574 times
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: pierced spike tomahawk WIP

Post by Peter Remling »

That's going to look very cool!
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

A tomahawk from a railroad spike - that's gonna be sweet!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Awesome! We will have need of goodly steel, I fear!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Most excellent! I like seeing an axe "coming out" of a railroad spike; it's a cool image.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Dinendir.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Dinendir. »

I do admit, it's very striking. And a resourceful use of iron, at that.

I can't wait to see the finished project.
What you gonna use for the handle?
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
He who seeks peace, prepares for war.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Many thanks guys, originally I was goin to go with a curly maple handle I buy my handle blanks from these folk: http://sharpslumber.com/curlymaple.html I bought 8 feet of 2"x2" specifically for handles but I think I'm goin with some hickory heartwood for this'un...I still need to get an eye punched out...which I'm dreading because I should've done that first, so I hope that oversight dont end up costing me in the long run....Usually the eye establishes the flow of the head to the cutting edge. We'll see....
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Dinendir.

Post by Dinendir. »

Have faith, it'll turn out good, I hope.
If not, I can send you another railroad spike. I have one or two laying around. 8)

And I like the hickory heartwood, but the color of the curly maple is a favorite of mine.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Many thanks for the offer sir, but I've prob'ly got 300+ spikes and at least that many RR clips layin around, my step brother picks them up everytime we go fishing, the RR runs right along side the river, he usually loses interest in fishin and goes spike huntin :lol:

I agree with you on curly maple,sir, its my favorite wood to work with, actually thats why I buy from Sharps Lumber, despite a runnin argument with a gunsmith friend of mine I think New England and Canadian Red and Sugar maple are distinguishable from those same species of tree harvested further south....They are just prettier in my opinion and they seem to be harder.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Dinendir.

Post by Dinendir. »

Always happy to help.
8)

In all honesty, I've never handled those. Just the curly maple, as that's what I chose to finish a machete of mine. I fell in love with the color.
:)