Full Kit Pics!

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Full Kit Pics!

Post by Greg »

Thanks, Guys!

As for the maille, it makes just a pleasant swish...not too bad. I've toyed with the idea of threading leather lace through some rows, especially near the edges, to deaden it, but it's not all that bad at all. I DO want to get some gun bluing treatment to tarnish it a bit; it's rather shiny. Beyond that, it's fine, for aesthetics. It certainly wouldn't do much for me in a live situation...but I can't afford the time or funds for flat riveted maille just yet.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurthir
Wanderer

Post by Taurthir »

Could blacken the mail with linseed oil, will take that shine out and itill never rust
"Let us together rebuild this world that we may share in the days of peace."
Taurthir of the Forest Guard. Yes my cloak needs some darkening
Greg

Post by Greg »

It's stainless steel, so I don't know if that'd work. Didn't do my research on the material much before going at it. Might be worth a try, though!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Before you spend a lot of money on special treatments to darken it, try immersing the maille in coke or pepsi. Get a cheap plastic bucket, put in the maille and then pour in several liters of cola (one of the cheap supermarket brands will due). Leave it in for a few days, moving the maille around once per day to coat it evenly. Even stainless should darken noticably.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Sounds like a great excuse to buy more 2-liters than necessary...;)

Thanks, pete!
Taurthir
Wanderer

Post by Taurthir »

Peter Remling wrote:Before you spend a lot of money on special treatments to darken it, try immersing the maille in coke or pepsi. Get a cheap plastic bucket, put in the maille and then pour in several liters of cola (one of the cheap supermarket brands will due). Leave it in for a few days, moving the maille around once per day to coat it evenly. Even stainless should darken noticably.
What exactly does this do chemically to it. I got basic chemistry under my ropes and I thought it would corrode the metal due to cola being acidic.
"Let us together rebuild this world that we may share in the days of peace."
Taurthir of the Forest Guard. Yes my cloak needs some darkening
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Exactly that, it corrodes the shiney polished surface, leaving a darker slightly splotchy surface. The splotchy areas are extremely small, giving it an overall darkened and grey look.