Going South

Got a song, a tale, some news of far off places or Orcs gathering? Step up and loose your word hoard.

Moderator: Greg

Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Going South

Post by Jon »

This is a story I have started writing but that I wont be able to finish in time for the storytelling contest. So like some of you other writers do, I'll post it a section at a time.

DISCLAIMER: This is my first ever serious go at writing so at least until I get a bit better don't expect much from my stories. Hope you enjoy it anyway!

The heat was becoming unbearable. Dirhael had been walking since dawn across the Dune Sea, a desert part of the Haradwaith, the feared land in the south of Middle Earth. Haradrim, Troll-Men and orcs roamed in these parts. He had even heard of oliphaunts in the jungle further south, but did not believe this.

Dirhael was, as far as he knew, the only one of his kin south of Gondor. He had been appointed as a spy for three months in the desert, to track down and follow a band of orcs to their source. He was heading ever further south into Far Harad. The ranger had not journeyed all the way from Eriador but from Pelargir, where he had lived for several years, far from his kin.

Before this mission, the furthest south he had ever been was Umbar. Not more than three years ago, he had served with Aragorn under the rule of Steward Ecthelion and had attacked Umbar and killed the King of the Haven.

He was lightly equipped, for he needed to be to face what the desert could throw at him. He wore no maille, or any substantial armour for that matter. He carried his bow and his arrows that had never failed him, a hardy knife that had served him since he was a child, and a seax that had seen many battles and cleaved many orc necks. At his belt he also carried a fire kit, a weapon maintenance pouch and a fishing kit, though he doubted he would need the latter. He also had with him a tan-coloured cloak, the same colour as the rest of his cotton clothes. Over his shoulder was a haversack, in which he kept his rations and two pints of water.

If he needed to, he could become completely invisible from a distance. He had never in his life failed to start a fire. He was a competent archer and an excellent swordmaster. In his own country he could live off the wild for months on end. He knew how to kill orcs efficiently and quickly. He was confident and deadly.

But the present situation was a long way from anything he had experienced before. It seemed that the whole blasted place was against him, tearing him down and tiring him out. The sun was cruel. It was at this time his worst enemy, draining the very life out of him. The sun was setting and he was exhausted. He needed to find shelter for the night.

After walking not too much further, he spotted a few trees and shrubs a half a mile or so ahead of him. He walked up and down the dunes for another quarter of an hour before reaching the small haven. There was no immediate water source there but that was no big problem for him. Then he marvelled at the sight before him: dates! The palm trees had dates on them! All the other trees he had come across so far had not bared any fruit as the unforgiving desert would not let them.

He cautiously climbed one of the five twenty-foot palm trees, using his feet to grip the tree like a frog. He dropped the dates on to the ground below. Once he felt his feet on secure ground again, the last of the sun was disappearing behind the dunes. The darkness of night would not be late.

He started a small fire from some of the palm fronds then put himself to the task of collecting a few sand beetles from the shrubs. This was easy work and when he had just about finished, he spotted a small lizard hiding below one of the bushes. Catching this was slightly harder work, but when the task was completed and some corn from the rations had been added, Dirhael was rewarded with a tasty morale-boosting meal for the first time in days. He lay back on the sand beside the fire, wrapped himself in his cloak and drifted into a deep sleep. In the excitement of the evening, he had not thought of the orcs he was following.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Going South

Post by Mirimaran »

I like it! Different and refreshing, I never thought of Orcs in the southern climes. Good description and details, just the sort of thing we like here on the forum. More, please! :)
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Well written! I agree with Mirimaran; it's nice to see the change of climate.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ranger of Arthedain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

Very nice story, indeed! :) I would like to read more of it myself.
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Nice start! I look forward to seeing how this developes.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Well I presumed there would be a few orcs down south due to being allies with the haradrim (I think)

Life before Death.
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

its really good, i can't wait to see how it continues
Ranger of Arthedain

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

Dirhael wrote:Well I presumed there would be a few orcs down south due to being allies with the haradrim (I think)
You would be correct. :) And you also have to think that Mordor lay to the North of Haradwaith, so seeing an orc or two in far Harad would not be uncommon. That and far Harad was known to have Half-trolls as well, if I remember correctly. :)
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Oh fun! I sense trouble a comin'!
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Thanks guys! I'm quite busy at the moment so wont have time to write much of it. I did actually just have some unexpected time off so that's when I wrote that and started my coif project :D

Life before Death.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Very nice! I eagerly await the next installment.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain