Members question??

Stuff that relates to the running of the forums, and not to Ranger reenactment.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Members question??

Post by Willrett »

Ok we have 82 members with atleast 1 post which is great (but some need to post more) but we have 145 total. So of the 62 that have not posted and the ones that have only posted a few times is there a way to send an email to them to give a reminder about us. I seen one of the non posters has a web site with full garb pics. Just some ideas.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
kaelln

Re: Members question??

Post by kaelln »

Not that I know much about how the forum works, but I do know that a pm results in an email. I don't know if there's a less labor intensive way, as that would require 62 separate pm's.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Willrett wrote:Ok we have 82 members with atleast 1 post which is great (but some need to post more) but we have 145 total. So of the 62 that have not posted and the ones that have only posted a few times is there a way to send an email to them to give a reminder about us. I seen one of the non posters has a web site with full garb pics. Just some ideas.
Will, the only thing a forum can really do is encourage people to join. Beyond that, they have to remember about the site on their own. A lot of people will join a forum because it looks interesting, poke around a little bit, and then call it a day and never post. That's their decision, and we should respect it; we can't make it for them. A "friendly reminder" has been used at some message boards I've been to, and I wound up deleting my unused account because they were so annoying. I understand what you wanted to accomplish here, but I really think it'd be best if we just let those who signed up and didn't participate be. If they're that into Middle Earth Reenactment, they'll remember the forum on their own.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

As for the nonposter with the website, post a link to their site and say good things about it. We'll visit the site and if it generates business for the member, maybe they'll become active. Be sure to let the person know we are from the MERF.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Good advice. We've run yahoo groups for years and have always found you will have a core group of members that will be outnumbered by those that never post. It's just the way most groups and forums work. But you might be surprised at how much folks will check your group or forum, or how much your posts might show up elsewhere. I'd love to see that link!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

The name used here is Lathron here is the site posted http://sam4uk.deviantart.com/#/d37ka24
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I understand what you guys are saying, maybe some will see this and start posting some.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Actually I thought Will's suggestion has merit. I might suggest instead of a "Hey we're still here" type thread, a mini-magazine with some of the recent interesting topics discussed and maybe a few links to those threads.

We send a mass email to all members, I'm sure theres a email option that will allow such.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Ah, ok, thanks for the link. Nice costumes, as she says. There are some who join for info on costumes and the like, like LOTR_Costume, who might not be into the more detailed Ranger aspects as the rest of us are.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Peter Remling wrote:I might suggest instead of a "Hey we're still here" type thread, a mini-magazine with some of the recent interesting topics discussed and maybe a few links to those threads.
We send a mass email to all members, I'm sure theres a email option that will allow such.
Maybe in the next few months or so, when JBook's first e-newsletter comes out, we could distribute/advertise it via that medium as a way to draw people back, etc. I'll PM him and see what he thinks.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Morielda
Wayfarer

Post by Morielda »

Yep, this is post number three for me :) Way to go me! :D This is how it is for me. My comfort zone is across the room from the computer. I am currently on my Kindle, btw. I not only look at the board whenever I can, but I bug my husband, Ken, every time he reads the board by asking if there's anything new, while back over at my comfort zone I knit, crochet, nalebind, sew, cross stitch, or draw. It's a great forum, but I don't feel the need to post to everything when I am right here with Ken and we talk between us about everything that is going on board-wise. If I have anything to say that I feel will contribute to or further a conversation, I will be more than happy to share my two cent's worth :)

I don't say much, but I watch :) If I were in the movies, I'd be one of those people who work behind the scenes.
Dailir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Dailir »

If we were to send reminders I would limit it to 2 a year at most. That way it doesn't become extremely annoying.
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Cleddyf
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cleddyf »

Willrett wrote:The name used here is Lathron here is the site posted http://sam4uk.deviantart.com/#/d37ka24
that is awesome, i have much costume envy
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Morielda wrote:I don't say much, but I watch :) If I were in the movies, I'd be one of those people who work behind the scenes.

Hmm, a REAL ranger! The quiet watcher among us. :lol:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Morielda wrote: but I bug my husband, Ken, every time he reads the board by asking if there's anything new, while back over at my comfort zone I knit, crochet, nalebind, sew, cross stitch, or draw.
Speaking of all the great things Morielda does, I thought we were going to get pics of some knit hats for sale, hmmm? What about it, Ken?