The Ranger's Gear

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

WOW...how do you guys CARRY all of this?

I understand that you're carrying backpacks, but I'm still somewhat shocked. That's a pretty big piece of Canvas to be carrying, Peter. I'd probably get annoyed by something like that, and haul it in to where I know I'll be staying, and leave it there for the duration of my trip. I prefer to carry everything I bring with me all of the time, rather than leaving gear at a base camp that someone could come across, though I currently don't have a stylistically accurate backpack, so I suppose that cuts down significantly on my carrying capacity. If I must leave something behind, I find a suitably tall tree and stow it up high and out of sight, but with a ground cloth/tent combo thing like that, I don't know how that would be possible. But hey, it seems to work great for you, so more power to ya!

As far as gear is concerned...I usually have half a dozen to a dozen arrows with me, and my quiver can handle upwards of three dozen if its packed, so there's still ample space for gear in the quiver as well. That's where my spare clothing/colder weather garments go. Everything else goes in a bedroll I carry alongside the quiver on my back, which consists of nothing more than a blanket that's big enough to lay on the ground under me, and fold over me once.

Before I invested in the wool blanket I now use for this, I wanted to test the idea, so a friend of mine and I went half-dressed (the "Bards of Suburbia" we call ourselves on outings like this, in Jeans, shirts, and athletic shoes *chuckles*) into the hills to test some new gear. To get an idea of how it fits together and works out for transportation purposes, here's a photo of that particular outing. In the photo, I have my old solid fiberglass woodgrain 48" recurve that I used to carry because it was the shortest bow I had at the time, and the blanket is a plaid fleece blanket I had on hand at the time, but the concept is there.
The roll is held together with rope that I hand-twisted from twine, and then ran through the center and made a shoulder strap out of it that parallels my quiver's strap. Eventually, I'd like to replace that with a leather shoulder strap with a pair of loops with buckles to hold the roll together, but until then, the rope works well enough. I know most of you aren't huge fans of bedrolls due to the need to unroll the entire thing to get something out, but in this setup, I put the important items that I need more readily accessible at the top of my quiver so that they're within my hand's reach without having to look behind me or even take the roll or quiver off. The roll sits there right alongside the quiver, and I barely notice that its there most of the time, so it works out well.

In terms of the overall set of gear that I take along with me, the list is fairly short...

-Cloak w/ Lined Hood
-Bracers, one of which functions as my armguard
-Quiver, which contains spare pants, spare shirt, 1/2-dozen to 1 dozen arrows, and my water supply.
-60# 48" Shortbow
-Short Sword (on occasion)
-Kukri (always). Easily the most versatile tool I carry.
-Small tin pot (need to invest in a copper some day...I love Andy's Corn Boiler on meranger...)
-Flint and Steel, though I prefer an antique fire piston I have. But that wouldn't fit ME, so flint and steel it is.
-Blanket Roll, which contains my limited food supply (mostly jerkey, cornmeal, and other quintessential "just add water" type meal deals. There are a lot of cattails growing in the streams throughout the hills here, so I have developed a taste for the starchy potato-like Cattail Roots. And you just simply CANNOT go wrong with Acorn flour pancakes...
-Irish Pennywhistle/Low Whistle or, on rare occasions when I'm bringing a small party along and we set up a pseudo-permanent base camp, my Uilleann Bagpipes. I consider making music a necessary part of my existence, not only from my career standpoint, but as a ranger as well. And nothing soothes an anxious group of Knights and other travelers like an aire on a low D irish whistle...

I'm currently lacking in the period belt and boots department, though boots are definitely next on my list of things to make.
Last edited by Greg on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Hi Greg:

The good thing about a large backpack is that you don't have to fill it. The canvas one in the picture was stuffed with 2 overstuffed bedpillows just for the shot and would only be filled like that for a trek to a basecamp for an extended period. Typically I'd carry a shortsword, dagger or longknife, tomahawk, and a short stabbing spear )makes a great walking stick) over a bow and arrows in the woods. My bedroll over the shoulder and a belt pouch and shoulder pouch for food and necessities. An old metal beer stein with flip lid also makes a great boiler for one.
Greg

Post by Greg »

It's an older discussion, but I'd like to get some of the newer members involved in this too. Kerrytracker, Willrett, Stonedog...there are a bunch of you!

For that matter, my gear has changed/expanded quite a bit recently, so I figured it's time for me to update things.

For a short trek/scouting venture:

Hooded Cloak
60# Horsebow
9 arrows in custom quiver
Wool and Hide/Fur Bedroll Strapped to Side of Quiver
Nepal-Made Kukri
Ritter Steel Leaf-Bladed Boot Knife
Tin Pot
Fork and Spoon by GDFB
Flint & Steel, w/Jute
10' hand twisted Rope
Mixed Nuts and Berries
Steel Cooking Spit
1 liter leather water bottle
MacQueen Pipes "Fable" Briar Pipe & Pipe Weed
D Pennywhistle

For a Longer Trek, add the following:

Swiss S&P Rucksack
12 arrows in arrow bag at center of bedroll
Canvas Tarp for Shelter
Valiant Armoury "Bristol" (once it arrives, at any rate)
100' hand twisted Rope (repace the 10')
Spare Pants
Spare Shirt
Swiss S&P Mittens

For a trek involving an expected open battle situation, add:

Steel Spalders
Short-Sleeved Mail Shirt
Add to the 9 arrows in my quiver the 12 war arrows in the arrow bag in my bedroll

And soon, now that I've passed my test for my Apprentice's Falconry License, there'll be training for a red-tailed hawk for me to be attending to, which means eventually, on some treks, I'll be adding the following into my Ranger kit as well. Everything but the perch and hood I already have, so I'll be putting it all into my pack for trips for the time being so I can get used to carrying it around (though the guys in my group may wonder why I have a perch in my pack when the Bird's not ready yet...) There'll be a thread coming up several months down the road asking for suggestions on a name for the Hawk when it's trapping time.

Hawking Glove
Spare Jesses/Anklets
Hawking Leash
Perch
Hood

It's a ways off yet, but I'm looking forward to the possibilities having a Hawk as a travel partner may open up.
Last edited by Greg on Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg,

Congrats on passing the falconry exam. May I suggest that when you are ready, you make a hiking staff with a fold out arm to use as a perch.

To the newer folkes out there, If you don't want to show off your kit how about some off the personal items that you have or are proud of. Looking at another's gear helps create new ideas for what your needs and wants are.
Greg

Post by Greg »

That staff-perch idea is AWESOME, Pete! I'm gonna get started on that right away; my perch just arrived, so I have a relative size reference now. Thanks!

Having a hawk with me is going to make Rangering without a large food store a LOT easier. No more hit-and-miss hunting for squirrels/rabbits. If I'm down on my luck, I just have to find a field/some brush, fly the hawk and go kicking around for small game.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

I like the MacQueen Pipes sheaths. Looks like a future leather project.

Wizard Pipe Sheath
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

I have the Ranger pipe, very nice smoke

http://macqueenpipes.com/index.asp?Page ... &ProdID=34

and of course you must have the proper pipe-weed

http://www.justforhim.com/catalog/index ... fd959af7d7
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Faolan wrote:I have the Ranger pipe, very nice smoke

http://macqueenpipes.com/index.asp?Page ... &ProdID=34

and of course you must have the proper pipe-weed

http://www.justforhim.com/catalog/index ... fd959af7d7
I have the same pipe and tobacco. I like the "old treebeard" myself. Did you get your pipe pre carbonized?
Winter is coming
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

Mike, yes I did. I think they use honey to carbonize it? It came in nicely blackened inside and slightly sticky. The connection point between the bowl and stem is a little looser than I like but overall not a bad pipe. I also have the "Shortcut to Mushrooms" tobacco, I get comments constantly when people see the name. "oh you smoking mushrooms? hehe"

The pipe bowl begs to be carved but I'm not getting enough inspiration from Tolkien's brief description of Strider's pipe being "curiously carved" to come up with a design.
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

What about your rendition of the white tree? No one in Bree would know anything about the white tree, but the Dunedain would.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

That's a possibility
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

What is your tobacco bag like?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

Right now it is just the plastic zip-pouch that came from the vendor, the type you can write on. It has the name of the tobacco blend hand-written in pen. It does have kind of a woodsy/shroomy smell to it, but does not contain any mushrooms.

I carry my pipe and tobacco with me to work and will sometimes sit outside during lunch and have a smoke. Other people who smoke will comment on the pipe which leads to questions of tobacco blends. . . .

At some point I will dig out some of my lighter weight leather and throw together a pouch cover for it, but it's not high on the list of ranger projects at the moment.

Faolan
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I have the same pipe (and the dwarf pipe and a small clay one as well) but I am not much of a pipe smoker, but I was wondering how a tobacco pouch is lined. Sounds like a cool little project if I ever get the other million projects out of the way first.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg

Post by Greg »

How many spares do you all typically carry for clothing? How many backups for pants, etc? Some of us, like Pete and myself, have a standard stylized overshort that we use, that we can't really have spares for (unless pete's made a duplicate.) How do you manage changes of clothes?