A Little Help

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

A Little Help

Post by Daerir »

I have the 18" Sax Machete and I'm having a little problem. I bought a brass flatbar and made a crossguard. Now I need to find the leather for the handle and a thought occured: what can I use for a pommel? If anyone is familiar with the saxe knives please I could use some ideas, I'd prefer if it involved brass in someway to match the crossguard.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: A Little Help

Post by Peter Remling »

Depending on what the grip looks like, you could use a piece of the same bar stock you used for the guard or Atlanta Cutlery sells a number of brass pommels and guards. You could use a one of theirs or convert one of their guards into a pommel/butt cap.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

I actually tried using a solid door knob once, and with a bit of shaping it was actually not bad!

An easy option if you have a grinder and a ... spare door?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

There are also brass draw pulls available. Some are shaped similar to a pommel and others (if you search around) are made in various shapes including animal heads. Try Ebay if searching for something really different or unusual.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Well I had this idea of taking a brass disc sort of thing and putting a rounded pommel on the bottom, but then comes the way of attatching it. I would need to cut a slot into the circle withough cutting into the sides and I have no clue how I could manage that.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by deadextra »

Go with a drill press and a file. Depending on the particular mix in your copper alloy, then you may be able to repeatedly hammer the lower guard over the tang and flatten it out until the shape is properly made.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

my solution in the past was to make the front and rear guards out of 1" copper plumbing fittings The forward one slit and pressed up to the "ricasso" for lack of a better description, then your handle material, be it wood, whole or scaled, leather, ringed or scaled, or polymer (if you look at the CS Seax projects you will see this can also be done.)
Finally the same 1" cap on the back pinned or peened to get it nice and tight. this can be as utilitarian or ornate as you want to make it and with the copper you have the advantage of developing a cool "Verdigriss" green patina over time (very rangery in my estimation!) :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Post by Elemmakil »

It should be pointed out that period saxes often did not have a pommel or guard at all. Something to consider. I've attached a picture of a Viking scramasax that I made awhile back to show the possibilities.
Attachments
Addersting1.jpg
Addersting1.jpg (126.67 KiB) Viewed 14749 times
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Very nice, Elemmakil! Did you do a sheath for it as well?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Post by Elemmakil »

Mirimaran wrote:Very nice, Elemmakil! Did you do a sheath for it as well?

Ken
Only a rudimentary one. A much more "blingy" version is in work, though.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Okay, I've ran into a Black Gate :evil: I really liked the idea of using a pipe end cap for the pommel, but I cant find any end caps made of brass, and I dont think a brass crossguard and a copper pommel would look very good. I need some more ideas for a pommel.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Yeah the cap idea was supposed to work with a front and rear cap, the front being slit to allow the tang to go through. you can still do the crossguard in front of it but it's not really needed.
If you have the crossguard made in brass you could always layer a few more pieces of it in a square or circle or even graduated layers for the pummle. Using the same material on each side would look pretty nice. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

rangersamII wrote:Okay, I've ran into a Black Gate :evil: I really liked the idea of using a pipe end cap for the pommel, but I cant find any end caps made of brass, and I dont think a brass crossguard and a copper pommel would look very good. I need some more ideas for a pommel.

A little out of the box but, how about some of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aladdin-style-O ... 58a1ed5664

or light bulb socket parts (they could be cut into rings and placed over either end of the grip:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamp-part-brass ... 588a374c53
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Well I have decided that until I can find a small brass disc that isnt through the roof in price, im just gonna put the saxe in the corner for a while :(
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

You can get the copper end caps at Lowes and Home Depot very inexpensively. I just bought two 1 inch caps the other day for about 5 bucks for the pair.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"