A right jolly old elf

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

A right jolly old elf

Post by Peter Remling »

Well a team of 8 Laplanders pulling a sleigh landed on my roof overnight and brought a "s#@!load "(sackload) of stuff. This good little ranger got a new set of leather punches and needles in his stocking and a "elven dagger" and an Valiant/Atrim 304S (used from the SBG Classifieds but in immaculate condition) under the tree.

The family got a WII which is why I'm on the computer and not watching one of the dvds I just got: Soldier of God, Star Trek, Watchmen, GI Joe or Xmen Origins Wolverine.

Kids got the variety of cltohes gadgets and goohahs. Wife got more clothes and lots of books and some novelty items: she's a big NCIS fan so a Caf-pow coffee mug and a Dr. Mallard Id. badge. Non-NCIS novelties: a Corban Dallas multipass (5th Element), Buffy calander, Fast Forward mug and cap.

My body's still on the wrong schedule, been working overnights for the past three weeks so I'm going to crash after dinner for a few hours.

What did you or the family get that was Ranger related or just cool?
Eric C
Vendor

Re: A right jolly old elf

Post by Eric C »

The wife got a sword customized by our own Pete Remling and a haversack made by him to match it. Reta got a haversack made by me and a cloak pin in her stocking. Matt got some flint and steel. The cloak pin and the flint and steel are also from Pete. He also got an unfinished camp knife made by me. We'll finish it as a father-and-son project. I'll be posting pics soon.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

It sounds like some Rangers out there made out like bandits LOL :lol:

Well let's see, besides having the honor of being Morielda's husband, I got a dvd of Fire and Ice, the Ralph Bakshi animated film, a copy of 'The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun" by J.R.R. Tolkien (of course), the compilation of Savage Sword of Conan Vol. 3, and a MP3 player! Yah! So, I am quite happy this afternoon!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I have the Memories of Middle Earth CD by the Brobdingnagian Bards, the new edition of the Silmarillion (lovely paintings!), a t-shirt with a sow and two cubs (the bear is my totem), some treats, And that about does it.

My son got some games for the computer, some die cast planes, and treats.

Jen got jewelry, wine and some lovely flowers.

Not bad Solstice gifts, although not all are in yet naturally.

Siani
Nandalad!
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

Let's see... I got a blackthorn walking stick with a nice root-ball knob... several survival books (including one by Les Stroud)... I think that's all that's Ranger-related.
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

This was a merry yule indeed, I got me two boards of curly maple, 11 wide x 40" long x 1" thick. Also got a bit of kit, but that aint done yet so I was told it would be late...have no clue what it is yet. Also come out with some wool socks...considering we got 14 inches of snow last week that was a good thing, also got me some brand new playin' cards..now me and the other riders can play 10's 2's and 4's while we set out blizzards and gallantly await annihilation :lol:

Blessings and frith all around
RD
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I didn't get anything ranger related :cry: However I have a birthday in march and hopefully by then I will have been able to buy a few things and also get some stuff on it. I do share a birthday with Aragorn so I should get something ranger.

I did get a dremel tool so that should help with a few little projects I have been working on.

Glad to hear everyone had good holidays.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Two things I forgot to add:

Three octagonal lengths of cherry for the making of a Celtic style three legged stool. I just have to cut them to the right length, finish them, use either eyehook and staples or hemp/sinew for lashing, and then make a good leather seat for it. Portable as hell, comfortable too.

I received a pendant. It's a type of agate...called Dragonskin Agate. A misty grey color shot through with strands of darker grey and black inclusions. Quite lovely. It has sterling silver setting pieces. I just need a chain for it.

Siani
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I didn't get anything Ranger-related myself, but I forgot to mention something to make Ranger-related items. When I was working the State Fair this year, I got a call from my sister that lives at the beach. She told me she knew a retired blacksmith who could not do it any more because of arthritis. She told him about my knife-making ventures. It turns out he had evidently been a Ren-Faire rat and an SCA member. She told me that on the next weekend she would bring some tools up because he was willing to let them go to someone who would put them to use. You have to understand that you can't put much trust in things my sister tells you. Sad situation, really. So when I got off the phone with her, I told another blacksmith, "I'll believe that when I see it." The next weekend came and went with no new tools being added to my arsenal and no sister sitings.
WELL, fast-forward to Christmas Eve. She and two of her sons came to the house to see us- Mom is up from GA and will be going back home today. She said, "Oh, I've got something for you." She went out and in a couple of minutes she came back in with an armload of smithing hammers! She said the guy went through his two footlockers of tools and picked out the best ones for me. I was completely stunned! Not to mention absolutely elated. I've started cleaning up the faces on some of them. I'll get pics of these when I take the pics of everything else.

I told my sister to find out if he is willing to let anything else go. I'll gladly take it off his hands.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

That is just outstanding Eric! Major score! :)

Siani
Nandalad!
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Thats great Eric! I can't wait to se what you make with 'em.
Winter is coming
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Yeah, stupid annual sinus infection has me confined to the house during this lay-off period. So, no firing up the forge at the moment. :evil:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Sorry to hear about the sinus infection, but very cool about the hammers. Can't wait to see what the forge has in store!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, the promised pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/919ericc/Du ... asPresents#

I know much of my photography stinks. I've got to get the camera out tomorrow for a couple of finished products, so I'll try to get some better pics of the two haversacks and of the decoration on the sword belt and sheath.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice job on your daughter's haversack!